TAMPERS: Decent vs. Force vs. Bravo - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BaristaBob

#21: Post by BaristaBob »

blutch wrote:Isn't the entire reason behind the automated spring tamper and leveling plate so that you aren't tamping based on the amount of grinds in the basket, but by the amount of pressure? I had the St, Anthony Industries leveling tamper and it was a challenge to dial in every time I wanted to try a different bean or dose.

B
YES...

I pull three different coffees everyday and that's why I use the Force Tamper. I have a super German engineered Muhlgut push tamper (some might call it "The Ultimate Driving the grinds down Machine"), but adjusting the head up/down each time got to be a pain quickly!! One day if I ever settle on just one coffee, it sits in my drawer waiting for another test drive. 8)
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

blutch (original poster)

#22: Post by blutch (original poster) replying to BaristaBob »

Bravo

Doesn't the Bravo also give feedback after a certain amount of pressure, not based on travel?
B

Jeff
Team HB

#23: Post by Jeff »

It gives tactile feedback (and a little audible "click") when the preset force is reached. I'm not sure which I go off of, but I think it is feel, after many, many thousands of tamps with a conventional tamper and relying on feel there.

111a111sk

#24: Post by 111a111sk »

blutch wrote:Doesn't the Bravo also give feedback after a certain amount of pressure, not based on travel?
Well yes, when the handle touches the leveling plate. Then the full spring force is applied to the base plate.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by PIXIllate »

Levtamp has nothing other than a return spring. It levels, you press until you feel the counter. No adjustment for dose required. I think the idea of anything beyond 5-10 pounds of force making a difference has been soundly debunked.

LObin

#26: Post by LObin »

blutch wrote:I'm really struggling with the standard tamper since i upgraded my grinder to the DF64 flat burr grinder. Lots of spraying and channeling. I had none of those issues with the Baratza Virtuoso I was using while waiting for the Turin. In spite of the channeling, the coffee is spectacular with this grinder. A whole other level. That said, I want to make sure tamping isn't the issue which is why the click style tamper appeals to me. Do the cheaper spring loaded ones on Amazon click when you reach the set poundage?

B
What burrs do you have in your DF64?
Aligned?
Light roasts?
LMWDP #592

exidrion

#27: Post by exidrion »

+1 Force Tamper

BaristaBob

#28: Post by BaristaBob »

blutch wrote:Bravo

Doesn't the Bravo also give feedback after a certain amount of pressure, not based on travel?
B
I found this video on Instagram showing the Duomo distribution tool followed by the Bravo for tamping. They are using a glass pf basket to show what's taking place. Am I seeing this correct...that upon tamping the puck is NOT level. I would be very, very concerned. :shock:

Bob
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Auctor

#29: Post by Auctor »

BaristaBob wrote:Am I seeing this correct...that upon tamping the puck is NOT level.
At the very end of the video, it appears that the tamper itself isn't flush to the glass. The rim lifts off the glass prior to the completion of the tamp. I'd chalk that up to user error than any indication about the tamper itself.

The video is incredibly helpful to note that the surface level distribution doesn't reach the bottom of the basket, thus leaving you with inconsistently distributed grinds in the basket. Glad I never paid for one of those devices. :P
★ Helpful

blutch (original poster)

#30: Post by blutch (original poster) »

It almost looks like they are doing it on purpose.