Tamper upgrade?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
pontoon

#1: Post by pontoon »

Hi all. I've got a new Profitec Pro 700 w/ flow control on the way. Will I want to upgrade the tamper? I'm not sure if the tamper it comes with will be any good.

I was reading that some tampers fit the baskets better than others. Assuming I have a 1 spout profitec portafilter, a 2 spout profitec portafilter, I may buy a bottomless portafilter, and I have the included baskets, what do I need to get?

Do I need new baskets which fit a new tamper well? What setup can I get to do some nice quality, precision tamping? I kind of have a preference for a tamper vs a leveler so I can tamp by feel as my grind preferences change. I also like the idea of doing it manually vs using a level for some reason.

jpsm

#2: Post by jpsm replying to pontoon »

Tampers are like chefs knives so I suggest trying out different tampers before buying it. The "feel" might be nice for others but not might be comfortable for you. Levelers are actually cheap if you want the rip offs that amazon sells and then maybe down the line upgrade it to something "branded" like an ocd or saintanthonyind. As for baskets, get something maybe from ims. Some of my friends swear by the IMS+big step tamper. As for me, I am perfectly fine with my Espro calibrated flat tamper + rip off leveler from amazon. Looking to pick up a puqpress before the year ends though :)

maxbmello

#3: Post by maxbmello »

Agreed, tampers are a personal choice that best suits your hands, tamping style, etc.

Since getting a levtamp from KafaTek, I haven't looked at any others. Very well made, always a level tamp, fits my vst baskets perfectly.

Phaedrus

#4: Post by Phaedrus replying to maxbmello »

I second this; the LevTamp is an awesome tamper.

BaristaBob

#5: Post by BaristaBob »

pontoon wrote:Hi all. I've got a new Profitec Pro 700 w/ flow control on the way. Will I want to upgrade the tamper? I'm not sure if the tamper it comes with will be any good.

I may buy a bottomless portafilter, and I have tehe included baskets, what do I need to get?

Do I need new baskets which fit a new tamper well? What setup can I get to do some nice quality, precision tamping? I kind of have a preference for a tamper vs a leveler so I can tamp by feel as my grind preferences change. I also like the idea of doing it manually vs using a level for some reason.
Hi John,

Tampers are truly a personal item, as those before me have mentioned. Yes, by all means get a bottomless pf. This will let you know how well you are preparing the puck. Since my skill to create a level puck was lacking, my frustration lead me to try several tampers over the past few years. Currently the leveling type suits me best, and one that applies a constant force helps with consistency. My current tamper is called The Force Tamper, it levels and applies a constant force. It also fits my baskets perfectly, so 58.5mm for my VST baskets.
If you prefer a more manual (artisan) approach, I would recommend the Decent Espresso tamper version 1. This tamper is large, and has a spring that will aid in consistent pressure applied to the puck.
Hope that helps,
Bob
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

pontoon (original poster)

#6: Post by pontoon (original poster) »

jpsm wrote:Some of my friends swear by the IMS+big step tamper.
Thanks. Which size big step fits the IMS baskets best? 58.6?

Does anyone know the biggest size tamper which fits the stock Profitec baskets? I was doing some reading and found some people really like the stock Profitec baskets. Some prefer them over even VST baskets.

pcrussell50

#7: Post by pcrussell50 »

I don't tamp any more. A 58.4mm grooming tool set to the right depth tamps and grooms in one step.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

jpsm

#8: Post by jpsm »

pontoon wrote:Thanks. Which size big step fits the IMS baskets best? 58.6?

Does anyone know the biggest size tamper which fits the stock Profitec baskets? I was doing some reading and found some people really like the stock Profitec baskets. Some prefer them over even VST baskets.

I think you should ask the manufacturer of the basket or tamper so you wont end up buying the wrong size.

DonSWG

#9: Post by DonSWG »

I believe the Pullman BigStep fits the IMS baskets and that's 58.55mm. That said, that stepped design keeps suction from being a problem at that size. I'd say a 58.4mm tamp would be a good compromise between a tight fit and not having suction/binding issues. Unless you get a BigStep, but those are $$$
David Morgan

rwerner75

#10: Post by rwerner75 »

Like others have said, tampers are very individual. I just bought a Pro 700 myself and was quite surprised with the quality of the tamper inside. It was a metal tamper that was larger than 58mm, it's a bit light and the base is a bit slim, but totally usable. I have a hard time spending much on a tamper but I did get a 58.5 from Amazon that works well with the stock basket

Ryan