Tamper distributor size for VST ridged baskets

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
billgiannelli

#1: Post by billgiannelli »

I am looking for better fitting tamper and distributor for my VST 58mm ridged baskets. I see sizes of 58mm 58.35mm and 58.5mm. which would best fit vst ridged baskets?
thanks
Bill

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I use and like a Mahlgut Palm Dozer (58mm) & Mahlgut Palm Tamper (58.4mm flat) with an 18g ridged VST basket.

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

Some have found that 58.5 and up can lift the puck if removed too quickly.

My 58 has worked well for years.

With a nominal grind size around 200 microns (0.2 mm), I find it challenging to think that 0.05 change in gap dramatically effects the tamp when you're already on the scale of single particles. A 58 will have around an 0.3 mm gap (assuming 58.6 at the level of the tamp), a 58.4 drops that to around 0.1 mm.

I recently purchased a 58.4 for its features as a tamper. 58.5 was also available. I haven't noticed a dramatic difference with my classic 58 with the same pre-tamp prep. Cost no object and given a choice with the features you want, something around 58.4 seems to me to be a good compromise.

In my opinion, a tamper that fits your hand that you can tamp squarely and effortlessly with is more important than a couple tenths of a mm.

BaristaBob

#4: Post by BaristaBob »

I've been using a Force Tamper with a 58.5mm flat base without a problem on by VST baskets. The base is not to thick (About the thickness of a silver dollar) so I don't observe any suction on the puck when removing the tamper. When I used the Decent tamper v1 with the 58.5mm base, they incorporated ridges along the sides to minimize suction. The base of this tamper is very thick so I get it, and I did feel some suction if I tried to remove the tamper too quickly.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Snigle

#5: Post by Snigle »

I have a 18g 58mm ridgeless VST basket and just received a 58.5mm Eazytamp. It is a close fit but works perfectly. I would not want it any larger/smaller. If it was any larger (58.6mm) it might not fit..

Prior to this I had a 58mm Luxhaus tamper. That tamper was a hair too small for my VST basket and I typically would get some skid marks on the side of the basket.

With the 58.5mm Eazytamp the sides of the VST basket are clean.