Talk to me about ACS Evo Leva - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#21: Post by baldheadracing »

Starguru wrote:It's difficult for me to know what I want here. There are too many options. Part of me likes the simplicity of the boiler/lever machines. They are simple, there are few options, the reportedly make good espresso. By removing options they simplify everything.

Part of me likes the idea of a "it can do it all" machine. I imagine they have a "just pull the lever and let it go" option, as well as allow control for when I want to play.

How can I reconcile that?
In your predicament I would get a relatively-inexpensive manual lever like a Robot, Flair, or Espresso Forge, and keep your Bambino+ for steaming milk. I do not think that lever machines are for every person and every situation, so I would say to not jump in and spend thousands of dollars right away.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by mgrayson »

DaveC wrote:You were completely unclear, and I answered each specific point you made. Of course it appears your question is a completely different one, and not relevant to the Evo leva.

Are you still making coffee on a LM GS3 as it states in your profile?
What specifically don't you like about your shots?
Is there a difference with the same coffee on another machine, if so what is the difference?
I have been using the LM GS3 since it came out. First the AV, and then, for the past five years, the MP. Recently, I have been roasting and trying to make espresso from single origins rather than pre-roasted blends. It is a bit frustrating - sour up front, bitter aftertaste, some flavors getting lost in the middle. Not undrinkable, just not great.

As you rightly say, this is not relevant to the Evo Leva, and I will take these issues elsewhere. I do want to thank you for your detailed replies.

Matt

Primacog

#23: Post by Primacog »

Starguru wrote:It's difficult for me to know what I want here. There are too many options. Part of me likes the simplicity of the boiler/lever machines. They are simple, there are few options, the reportedly make good espresso. By removing options they simplify everything.

Part of me likes the idea of a "it can do it all" machine. I imagine they have a "just pull the lever and let it go" option, as well as allow control for when I want to play.

How can I reconcile that?

I am not a technical user - I do what seems to work for me and what tastes good to me. The decent for example is too technical for me to probably enjoy using - too much like a computer that happens to make coffee. It would probably send me into analysis paralysis and cause me to only use standsrd profiles in the end anyway.

By contrast i find the nurri highly intuitive. Its manual interface through the paddle controls and lack of any touchscreens or automation features mean that its directly controlled by the user all the time. In our nurri owners group, the universal refrain has been how easy it is to produce good and excellent shots - even a sink shot is still drinkable.

And yet it is straightforward and easy to use to make shots that would be difficult or not possible to do on a conventional traditonal lever. For instance i have been making blooming shots fir the last few mornings on my nurri after making conventional lever extraction. It is just as easy to do that as it is to do a standard shot.
LMWDP #729

BKH

#24: Post by BKH »

Starguru wrote:Very helpful, thank you. Trying to work thru whether I need this much complexity for the 1-2 shots I make on a normal day. Maybe a CT2/Export/la Pavoni would be more appropriate....
This sounds very reasonable to me. All can get you started using levers and making very good espresso. If you find them used they can be a very small fraction of the price of Nurri or Evo Leva.

I started with an e61 HX and then got a europiccola. I loved the europiccola so I decided to buy a larger lever machine and sell the HX ( I kept the Europiccola)

I considered the Evo Leva but I compromised on temperature and preinfusion repeatability and saved some money and ended up with a new Strega for $1800. At first I never considered the Strega. I didn't like the look and didn't like having the sound of the pump. But the pros outweighed the cons and I came around to it. It's a great machine and I love the quick heat up and temp flexibility with the flushes. Plus it can easily do larger shot volumes (shot volume has been frequently discussed recently).

If the extra few grand didn't bother me then I would definitely get one of the Nurri or Evo Leva. I sometimes still consider trading up... but I don't know if I can actually taste the difference in the espresso I would make! :shock: