Talk me out of buying a Profitec Pro 800

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
delta76

#1: Post by delta76 »

Hi,

Long time reader, almost first time poster.
I currently have a Lelit Elizabeth and Eureka Mignon Specialita. I'm pursuing a better grinder (Helios 80 is on short list, if I am lucky), but that's another matter. While I can't find anything wrong with Elizabeth, I still wonder what I could have missed. Now on local market I can buy a Pro 800 new for ~2000 EUR. Only v1 with plastic handles but that's quite a good deal given how everything else is expensive here. I make around 4 latte daily, 2 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. sometimes more with friends, but we don't have that many friends

Pros
- Cool new look
- Build like a tank which always excites me (compared to the thin sheets on Elizabeth)
- Lever!
- Will likely last my lifetime, or more

Cons
- Lever!
- Exposed hot head
- Does not fit on my kitchen top, will likely have to sit on our dining table. I will eventually have a coffee desk but that's months ahead
- Big & heavy (not a con per se, but for installing and moving at least)

My other options would be Bianca v3 (slightly cheaper, but I'm not very excited with Lelit build quality), and Pro 700 and ECM Synchronika, both will be 300-400 EUR more expensive.

Now give me a bit of your wisdom!

bobkat
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by bobkat »

You list a "con" as a lever. You list a "pro" as a lever. I have an ECM Synchronika for almost two years. It has excellent build quality and I like it a lot. It is relatively easy to work on for maintenance. It is as bulky as a PP800. If you prefer a lever...get the 800. If you don't want a lever get a Sync or Pro 700.

delta76 (original poster)

#3: Post by delta76 (original poster) replying to bobkat »

yes that was both pro and con for me (with a hint of joke)
pro: it's exciting and "different", ability to control flow
con: more space needed, more "manual", and especially chance of getting injuries associated (I know it is low, but...)

PPapa

#4: Post by PPapa »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most wouldn't be "controlling flow" on a spring lever machine. Yes, you can, but I've not seen many do it (and I had Londinium R since 2018).

Personally, the main attraction for me was (and still is) the simplicity of pulling the shot. I know PP800 is richer in features, but there's still not that many variables you need to worry about to get a good shot.

The size is certainly an issue - we had to redo the kitchen when we moved in. Yes, it was claustrophobic and dated, but... all I cared was the fact LR couldn't fit :D. If you plan to move frequently, it would be cheaper to get a Slayer... for every time you move.

#5: Post by delta76 (original poster) replying to PPapa »

I have absolutely no idea, just echoing things people have said ECM Synchronika and Profitec Pro 800 Comparison

how do you like your LR

And no by moving I meant moving around. If I move my home, that would be once and done (and for that I would not be worried as I'd get help, from the handymen or friends)

PPapa

#6: Post by PPapa replying to delta76 »

Ah I see, I just don't know why would you mess with a lever and it doesn't get mentioned much in Londinium circles.

Love my LR but half of the love is because of the brand itself - you get loads of support and improvements over the years. I like simplicity of it as it makes great coffee and paired with a good grinder, it's well capable of great espressos.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#7: Post by baldheadracing »

You can only retard flow by reducing pressure with that grouphead (whether Pro800 or Londinium version). How often depends on the coffee and how it was roasted. With some light filter coffees/roasts I will be playing the lever throughout the entire shot for every shot from that bag. One could argue that those coffees aren't meant for espresso and manually profiling is too much effort - all I can say is that it is nice to have the option and the espresso tastes good to me.

OTOH, if you never pull light filter roasts, then you almost certainly will never have to retard flow. You can get all the pressure profiling that you would probably want from controlling pre-infusion and then letting the spring do whatever it will do (given how you pre-infused).

Space is the main consideration for a lever. I'll almost always take a lever over a pump machine, but that's just personal preference.

Good luck!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Moka 1 Cup

#8: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

delta76 wrote:Hi,
- Does not fit on my kitchen top,
- Big & heavy (not a con per se, but for installing and moving at least)
Just a possible solution to both issues: Pro 800 + grinder + water supply
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by buckersss »

On the surface I'm digging the 800.

However, and this is unsubstantiated, I've noticed quite a few for sale on Kijiji. The 2.0 version. More than I would have otherwise expected for a machine that looks to tick a lot of boxes.

#10: Post by delta76 (original poster) replying to buckersss »

not too surprised. it is not for every one. lever is a big plus for some, and minus for some other, as I listed
some people love the idea of lever until they actually have it - that's my main concern from pulling the trigger.