Sweetest taste of espresso possible?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
kimbonapoletano

Postby kimbonapoletano » Jun 27, 2018, 3:13 pm

Hello,
I'm about to buy both a new machine (that's why I put my post here) and a new grinder to create the sweetest taste of espresso possible. I know that there are more (important) parameters that influence taste. So my question is: How can I produce the sweetest and smoothest espresso and which machine is best for it? The following parameters might influence the result:
mano: water, temperature, pressure, amount of coffee...
miscela: origin of coffee, varietal, processing method, roast...
macinazione: grind, grinder...
macchina: lever, semiautomatic...
It's a big question but maybe someone help me single out the right equipment...
Thank you very much.
Bill

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Jun 27, 2018, 3:41 pm

You could also add a little sugar.

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Jun 27, 2018, 6:15 pm

Grind fine; dose low; get a lever.
Jim Schulman
★ Helpful

HB
Admin

Postby HB » Jun 27, 2018, 8:16 pm

Jim's thread How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste elaborates on his comment above. I've recently been using the Elektra Microcasa a Leva for my morning routine. I agree with him -- a lever espresso machine, especially one that's spring powered, can really pull sweet, easy-going shots. See Gary's Elektra Microcasa a Leva Review for more details.
Dan Kehn
★ Helpful

Blacktip

Postby Blacktip » Jun 27, 2018, 8:28 pm

With some Italian roasts, I pull shots that, sometimes, I feel they are too sweet. Filicori zecchini Forte and Trinidad Espresso Especial to name some. I have a Pro 800.

Beewee

Postby Beewee » Jun 28, 2018, 12:42 am

You will find this post by David Schomer interesting: http://espressovivace.com/roasting-for-espresso/

mivanitsky

Postby mivanitsky » Jun 28, 2018, 1:13 am

another_jim wrote:Grind fine; dose low; get a lever.

It's safe to say that Jim wins HB for today.

nuketopia

Postby nuketopia » Jun 28, 2018, 1:52 am

This is the never ending quest!

Pull that impossibly dense, flavorful, well balanced and sweet shot.

It is what we all work on, perfecting the craft and the parameters we can control, finding the perfectly roasted beans, dialing in the rest time, the grind, the temperature and pressure and pull time, measuring twice and cutting once!

erik82

Postby erik82 » Jun 28, 2018, 6:22 am

Buy naturals (especially Ethiopia) or honey-processed beans and do what Jim wrote.

Capac

Postby Capac » Jun 28, 2018, 6:29 am

Processing really makes a difference IMO. I'm just finishing a bag of Nicaraguan honey processed and it's pretty damn nice.