Superautomatic around $2k ?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
M4rtin

#1: Post by M4rtin »

So I think we want to move to superautomatic from our current Breville Dual Boiler.
We've had it for 6 months and I think we're too lazy/busy and our palate is not so sophisticated to own a manual machine.
We're not into espresso, only milk based drinks, and I think we will be better served by superautomatic.
I know nothing about automatics to be able to narrow it down, other than being good for milk based drinks.
Any recommendation in up to 2k range ?

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I would suggest doing your shopping at stores where you can at least sample a shot or 2 to compare taste.
Jura seems nice...
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

This is a tough place to ask since almost all participants on this forum are into fine-tuning their espresso and brew, and a super-automatic doesn't do that. I agree with the previous suggestion, which is to find a dealer who can demonstrate something that would be convenient without sacrificing a quality level that will please you.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

okmed

#4: Post by okmed »

You should be able to taste test a few as suggested at I Drink Coffee dot com.

russel

#5: Post by russel »

My experience growing up with super autos is that warranty, returns, and repairs are important considerations. If you don't need to pinch pennies on the purchase, try to buy from a local retailer with either friendly support or a generous return policy, and if you can use a credit card that further buffers your purchase. Expect to pay for servicing every other year; you might no need it quite that frequently if you properly maintain the machine (specifocally the milk path), but then you can feel like you're coming out ahead instead of being blindsided by the additional expense.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

h3yn0w

#6: Post by h3yn0w »

I'll probably get flamed but if you just want a quick, convenient, decent tasting latte at home, maybe look at Nespresso.

slipchuck

#7: Post by slipchuck »

okmed wrote:You should be able to taste test a few as suggested at I Drink Coffee dot com.
On most products at I Drink Coffee they will pay shipping both ways if something is under warranty

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Gig103

#8: Post by Gig103 »

I like Jura machines tested at Sur La Table. Another important consideration is cleanup involved. If you use the milk frother, the Jura head has to be taken apart daily and it's about 3 small pieces and an o-ring.

If you like your Breville, how about the Oracle? It grinds and tamps and automatically froths milk. You just need to move the parts from step to step. I like their frother more than the Jura one and cleaning is just wiping it off (the machine flushes the chamber).

A new Nespresso option is out now I liked too for milk drinks. The Creatista has a steamer like the Breville and is about $450. That gives you $1500 towards your capsule budget.

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#9: Post by mivanitsky »

Breville Oracle and Nespresso are two excellent options for your situation. As noted above, superautos are very high maintenance with respect to hygiene.

They also produce covfefe.

If you really want a superauto, there is a Quickmill one of which people have spoken well, sold by Chris coffee:

http://www.chriscoffee.com/Quickmill-Mo ... -a-evo.htm

M4rtin (original poster)

#10: Post by M4rtin (original poster) »

Thanks all, I actually live 5min from Idrinkcoffee, so maybe I'll visit them, take a look at what they have.
Another popular retailer is about 30min from me, which is EspressoPlanet.
Yeah, I need something simpler, my wife will never learn how to operate Breville, it looks too complicated for her, she just wants to touch a button.
Talked to a friend of mine today and he bought Jura E8, will make a trip to his house one weekend so he can show me all the ins and outs of the machine.