Super budget "58 mm" espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Moka 1 Cup

#1: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

We may have to replace the Gaggia that we have at the office.
We make anywhere from three to ten espresso each day, no milk. We use a single shot 58mm 8g basket, so I am excluding the "low-end" Breville product line, like the Bambino, the Duo Tempo or the Infuser, that have the 54mm portafilters.

Other than the Gaggia Classic (and the higher in price Rancilio Silvia), is there any other budget espresso machine (NEW) that uses the standard Commercial 58 mm portafilter?
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

cccpu

#2: Post by cccpu »

Moka 1 Cup wrote:We may have to replace the Gaggia that we have at the office.
We make anywhere from three to ten espresso each day, no milk. We use a single shot 58mm 8g basket.

Other than the Gaggia Classic (and the higher in price Rancilio Silvia), is there any other budget espresso machine that uses the standard Commercial 58 mm portafilter?
Breville Dual Boiler- used ones can run ~$700+ (sometimes lower if you catch the right second hand outlet service!)
LMWDP #583

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
Moka 1 Cup (original poster)

#3: Post by Moka 1 Cup (original poster) »

Thank you. I a should have specified that we are considering new machines, not used.
I edited the OP.

notsimar

#4: Post by notsimar »

the flair 58 might be the ticket if you are not looking for milk drinks.

K7

#5: Post by K7 »

I was researching the same thing recently and here is a list I came up with.

- Crossland CC1 V2, $700 from Seattle Coffee Gear
- Lelit Glenda, $800 (now $900?) from 1st line, cafeLast
- Lelit Victoria, $1000 (now $1100)?) from 1st line, cafeLast, comiso
- ECM Casa V, $1000 from WLL, cafeLast, Clive

dreadnatty08

#6: Post by dreadnatty08 »

If you're looking for under $1k, the Lelit options are probably your best bet (aside from Gaggia Classic Pro and Silvia).
If you want to stretch a little beyond, there's the Quick Mill Carola Evo that does not have a steam wand. It's a traditional E61 grouphead as well.
https://www.chriscoffee.com/products/quick-mill-carola

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

While I prefer the flexibility in baskets and, to a lesser degree, tools, that a 58 mm basket allows, that's the realm of an espresso hobbyist. For a light-duty, production environment where having non-experts be able to reliably pull good shots, those advantages fade.

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
Porcupine
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by Porcupine »

I really don't think you can find cheaper that has a near equivalent quality than the Gaggia or the slightly more expensive Silvia...

All other options are more expensive and not worth it I think.

If it exist I'd be curious to find out as well as this is a price point that people often ask me about.
Link to my coffee blog: www.thewearycup.com (no ads, no bs)

Moka 1 Cup (original poster)

#9: Post by Moka 1 Cup (original poster) »

Thanks to everybody for the answers. I'll post a feedback when we decide.
Jeff wrote:While I prefer the flexibility in baskets and, to a lesser degree, tools, that a 58 mm basket allows, that's the realm of an espresso hobbyist. For a light-duty, production environment where having non-experts be able to reliably pull good shots, those advantages fade.
As I mentioned, the reason for wanting the 58mm portafilter is that we use (and we would like to continue to use) the single shot 8g baskets.
I don't see them available for the 54mm portafilters. I may be wrong of course.

ragdoll serenade

#10: Post by ragdoll serenade »

Lelit provides a 7 gram basket with the Anna, it's in a 57 size. Glenda is a 58 and probably comes with a single basket. The Victoria looks like a very nice machine but I would not consider it budget really.