Super Automatics - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
gobucks

#11: Post by gobucks »

The option of selling the Londinium and buying a more user friendly semiauto could work, you could try a machine with volumetric brewing, or something like the Lelit Elizabeth, which has programmable auto shutoff timer and push button operation. It might not matter, though. I bought my Elizabeth with the idea of having something user friendly for my wife, but she has no interest in learning how to use it. I feel like most people have pretty set opinions on whether they are willing to tolerate ANY learning curve, and if your wife isn't, then even making it 90% easier isn't gonna cut it.

As others have said, I think the easiest solution is definitely a nespresso. Even the best superautos are a huge step down from a proper lever/semiauto, so I feel like selling your Londinium to buy an expensive superauto is just going to make you sad, and likely won't make your wife any happier than just adding a nespresso machine.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing »

Chris Coffee currently has an open-box Quick Mill Monza if you want a classic super-auto with a metal brew group.

There's also the Breville Oracle Touch - which isn't quite a super-auto, but can be used in no-skill mode (and you can use it like a Breville Dual Boiler).
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

airmoses83 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by airmoses83 (original poster) »

I can't stand nespresso, I would maybe get her LaVazza Espresso point

Supporter ♡

#14: Post by airmoses83 (original poster) »

Marmot wrote:I'm afraid you will be pretty disappointed with the espresso you get from a superautomatic compared to a real one.
Superautomatics have their sweet spot at longer drinks with about 120ml and coarser ground coffee.
The Jura Z10 won't mkae you happy since you mentioned you need milk drinks only rarely. I would go for a machine which is not primarily made for milk drinks, something like a Jura E8. Machines like the Z10 will usually need more care and maintenance.
I personally prefer Delonghi machines since they can grind finer and dose higher which gives you something closer to espresso.
There is also the Quickmill line of superautomatics which do real espresso. The 5000 series has a metal brew unit doing espresso in a traditional way. But you have to dial in grind size and dose more thoroughly since it has no pressurized system, i. e. Only the puck will build resistance. You will get real espresso though ;)
The quick mill monza looks like a pretty decent machine, looks well built. My father in law has a Delonghi super auto and its not great, it jams a lot.

Marmot

#15: Post by Marmot »

Maybe he has to grind coarser. Superautomatics usually perform better when grind size is quite a bit coarser than usual. You also have to clean it well which involves taking out the brew unit and from time to time using something like cafiza to get rid of coffee oils.
The Monza is a beast but you have to keep it clean as well. Even if your grind size and dose is right some coffee powder wont fall directly into the brew chamber. But it is less of a problem than on a superautomatic.
I would also suggest you try out coffee from superautomatics and capsule machines before making your decision. Where I live many coffee shops and restaurants use large superautomatics which produce a coffee very similar to the smaller machines.
If you go for a nespresso machine I suggest getting a Creatista Plus since it is pretty much the only machine getting a decent brew temperature. It uses the jetboil from Breville which is up to temperature in a few seconds. The automatic steam wand also delivers quite impressive results. But capsules will always produce quite a weak espresso.

Supporter ♡

#16: Post by airmoses83 (original poster) »

I cant do nespresso, the coffee isnt good and the running cost on it is expensive. I would rather purchase a quality machine with some residual value. I may take a day trip up to Chris coffee and take the monza for a test drive.

johnX

#17: Post by johnX »

airmoses83 wrote: "So i may have to part ways with it and replace it with a super automatic."

I have to say with any super automatic you will not have as enjoyable espresso shots as you can make from your Londinium. The shots will be okay, but not the same quality level.
If you can afford it, you have the space, I would keep the equipment you have and add a super automatic. :-)
We have had a Seaco Xelisis super-automatic for a few years and we do love it. It's quick, super easy to use, easy to maintain, my wife can fire it up, make drinks for her friends in minutes. But it does not really meet my tastes for straight shots of espresso. So, I have my lever machines. :-)

Best of Luck,
John

Marmot

#18: Post by Marmot »

Yes, I'm also afraid the drop in quality from the Londinium will be steep.
If space is the issue a small manual lever machine might be an option. Something like a Cremina or Pavoni will also deliver high quality espresso but have a very small footprint. You could also downsize the gridner to a manual one if you only do a few shots.
There are some pretty small superautomatics which, in combination with a manual lever machine, don't take up mich more space than a Londinium.
I don't know if you have the Melitta Caffeo Solo in the US. I have a Koenig Finessa which I have seen labeled as Espressione Concierge. It's super compact but the brew chamber is a bit smaller than on the other superautomatics and you can not brew more than about 10 grams per shot.

johnX

#19: Post by johnX »

I checked how much our Seaco Xelsis super-automatic has been used; 5,970 drinks.
Your milage may vary, but our Xelsis has been trouble free so far.
I hope I didn't jinks myself. :-)

TomC
Team HB

#20: Post by TomC »

thirdcrackfourthwave wrote:You'll lose more in resale of the machine than a Nespresso costs and . . . .no offense but she might deserve a Nespresso. Keep your machine get DW a Nespresso for her she shed.

This ^

And keep your gear and randomly/frequently share her favorite beverage prepared on your good equipment so she sees what she's missing qualitatively.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/