Step up from Rancilio Rocky: suggestions?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
cep55

#1: Post by cep55 »

Hi all, I've had my Rocky for years, and it's been a great grinder. I've mostly used it with my La Pavoni Professional, but I've got an ECM Synchronika next week. I want to add another grinders I can have a dedicated grinder for decaf (which will be the Rocky).

For a step up (without going crazy, price-wise), what would you recommend? I don't need anything too fancy or automated (not interested in digital gadgetry), just a good solid grinder that will help me get the most out of the Synchronika.

I appreciate your recommendations!

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

What's your budget?

What kinds of espresso do you enjoy? What flavors and textures in espresso do you value?

What do you think you might explore in the future, if anything?

cep55 (original poster)

#3: Post by cep55 (original poster) »

Good questions, Jeff!

I'd like to keep it under $1k (unless there's a really compelling option that's a bit higher).

I tend to like medium or lighter roasts for espresso, never anything too dark or oily.

I like the dense, creamy pulls I get from my Pavoni lever (have had it for 24 years, so had time to master it), but I'm also excited about experimenting with flow control, temp, bottomless portafilters, etc.

Thank you!

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

At under $1,000 for classic espresso, I'd keep my eyes open for a used Niche Zero. It has the well-respected Kony burr set and the workflow is very smooth. With the Niche Duo (very different burr options) attracting those with upgradeitis, my guess is that you'll be able to pick up a used Niche Zero at half of your budget or less.

The downside of the Niche Zero is that while it performs very well for "dense, creamy" shots of classic espresso, it is a challenge to use with light roasts, such as Passenger and lighter, such as many of the European roasters' "filter" roasts.