Starting a mobile espresso bar! Have the vehicle, need the machine!

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
humenbean

#1: Post by humenbean »

Hi guys,

I've creeped here for years, but mostly for information gathering. I've been researching for about 3-6 months about beans to machines and am finally at a bit of a brick wall.

For starters, I bought a Citroen HY van a few weeks ago and it's in Conwy, Wales getting worked on. And will be shipped to where I live, NYC area to sell espresso and coffee out of! Below are some photos.

Unloading at the shop

What they can look like

It's pretty sexy right now.

Anyway, now with a little backstory out of the way... I'm trying to get a dual group lever espresso machine. There seems to be very very very few on the market. And most of them are in Italy like the Lelit, and aren't distributed or carry a warranty in the states.

I'm on a bit of a tighter budget, or I would just spring for a slayer or mirage. And I really really don't like the look of the astoria or other similar generic machines.

So my question is two fold... Is there anyone I'm missing? In the sub 10k range? I know about Salvatore, but they literally won't call me back. I've called them 5 times now over the last month. He's 'too busy to call back.' And they have a 6 month backlog.

Is it stupid to consider used? Mirage 2/3 group lever machines seem to popup frequently enough. I'd assume because people want to switch back to semi or full auto. But I'm clueless with it comes to used espresso machines.

Thanks in advance. And if you have anymore questions for me ahead of time, shoot! I work from home.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Can't help you with the machine - Bosco is the obvious choice for a commercial lever along with the Victoria Arduino Athena, but these are perhaps outside your budget. I just wanted to let you know about this video in case you haven't seen it. Love the HY!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

chrisbodnarphoto

#3: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

This may not be of any help, but there's one of these local (Toronto) that uses a simply 2 group Linea EE, which can be found for pretty cheap! Add the Ace Services Shureshot to the system and you'd have a pretty fantastic machine that's capable of most anything, and for a reasonable price!

That being said, if you DID want a Slayer, you could always spring for a 1 group. If only 1 person is operating the machine it should definitely keep up with demand, especially with a 220v.

I love these things either way, and I'll defn swing a visit next time I'm in NYC! :)

Apogee

#4: Post by Apogee »

Go with a mobile mod bar arrangement and interact more? Would go perfect with your super clean aesthetic.

If you ever sell that thing I want to buy it to convert into an espresso camping van!

canuckcoffeeguy

#5: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

In addition to the Linea equipped mobile @chrisbodnarphoto mentioned, this little Vespa in Toronto uses an 2 group Astoria lever. I believe it also runs on propane.
http://www.macchinamobile.com/#!about-macchina/cy19

However, I've never used one of these machines so I can't comment on it. Here's Astoria's website.
http://www.usa.astoria.com/product/glor ... l-2-lever/

Séb

#6: Post by Séb »

Londinium, La Pavoni Bar, Bosco, Izzo Pompei, Fracino, Victoria Arduino are all available in two group and might fit your needs.

peacecup

#7: Post by peacecup »

most use 2-group Astoria lever machines
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

shawndo

#8: Post by shawndo »

Séb wrote:Londinium, La Pavoni Bar, Bosco, Izzo Pompei, Fracino, Victoria Arduino are all available in two group and might fit your needs.
The 2 group Londinium is a lot less than 10K. Especially where the Pound is nowadays.
https://londiniumespresso.com/buy-now/p ... ndinium-ii

The Bosco will have US distributors and might be worth calling them for pricing:
http://www.bosco-macchine.com/distributors.asp?cn=164

La Pavoni has some options by a distributor nearby in NJ
http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/viewCa ... 6=0&VS18=0
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Almico

#9: Post by Almico »

I'm in NJ too and am also thinking of doing a mobile espresso set up, although your Citroen is way cooler than my vision. Where are you? I'd love to follow your progress.

My machine of choice is a gas-powered Astoria Rapallo. $4600 for the machine and about $600 for the gas kit. You can run them electric or gas once the kit is installed. Nice vintage looks coupled with local serviceability. But if your platform is an old Citroen HY, local serviceability might not be high on your list :D

Ellejaycafe

#10: Post by Ellejaycafe »

We are currently in the process of doing the exact same thing, minus the truck. We are building a pop up/mobile cart. I love the idea of a truck but we decided not to be restricted to only outdoor events. We went with a vintage Astoria fiore and restored it to run off propane/110v. So I would agree that's the way to go. Like almico said, the rapallo is way under your budget and would make an excellent choice. The CMA lever is about as solid as it gets design wise.

You gotta remember that with a little work you can make your machine look however you want.

Man, that truck is seriously BA. I LOVE IT.
LMWDP #544