Spring or manual lever espresso machine or something else?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
techmaster

#1: Post by techmaster »

Has anyone had / have both and can share thoughts?
I'm leaning toward a spring lever with Bosco group. (I have a La Pavoni Pro (2001) and I love the espresso it makes, but hate the inconsistency (pull 1 or 2 shots, turn it off to cool, etc.). I still love it, and may never get rid of it)

Moving from Miss Silvia to either Lelit Bianca for flow control, or a Bosco group lever (lot of brands have Bosco group).
Trying to stay at $3,000.

one thought / question: Will the Flow control on the Bianca allow me to get similar/same shot as the spring lever?
TIA

mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mgwolf »

one thought / question: Will the Flow control on the Bianca allow me to get similar/same shot as the spring lever?
If you got a lever, you wouldn't have to worry about how to get a "similar" shot with the Bianca. Reading between the lines, it sounds like you really want a lever. I've used E61 machines and "Bosco" type levers and prefer the levers for consistency and their tactile feel and involvement. However, each to his own. The lever machines would almost certainly be easier to maintain over time since they're simpler mechanically/electronically.

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

I've had both, and for straight espresso, the shots are substantially identical.

The plusses on a lever is that it is simpler to maintain and more iconic.

The plusses on the Bianca are steaming (it will out steam the prosumer lever machines (Londinium, Profitec, etc); although if you get an actual Bosco, that's a tossup), it is less work, and you can do longer shots and alternative profiles.
Jim Schulman

techmaster (original poster)

#4: Post by techmaster (original poster) »

Thanks for the thoughts.
Correct that I'm leaning toward a lever.
but I do want to start steaming more and need to entertain from time to time (which is most steaming involved).
Spring lever that can also steam well may be out of my price range, hence the question about the Bianca being able to produce a shot like a lever.

Lambretta58
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Lambretta58 »

Posted this earlier today in another topic slightly edited for clarity.
Lambretta58 wrote:I had a Bianca, lasted a little less than a year before I sold it and bought a Lambro.

When I had mine I kept reading how everyone was trying to get the profile of a lever. That got me thinking why not just have a lever? To much to go wrong inside the modern pump machines plus I enjoy the coffee and the experience much better.

Not going back to pump machines now.

I can't recommend a newer lever, I don't think you could go wrong with a Londinium though.

I would love to have a Lapera.
My $.02"
LMWDP #675

#6: Post by techmaster (original poster) »

Lambretta58
did you mean to say you'd love to have a La Pavoni?

I am likely selling my La Pavoni in favor of an Elektra.
I've decide to do this so I can have a lever machine and also get a Bianca.
I love my La Pavoni, but would like to try a spring lever, and I doubt I'll keep them both.
I you are interested, PM me.

Also, I had never heard of a Lambro... looked it up. very cool. I do love the old-world, solid built machines. Thinking I may end up with a Salvatore, but he's unreachable right now, and a bit over budget... and I'd like to try the Bianca. I'm betting I'll end up with a Bosco or a Salvatore and sell the rest of 'em. :)

#7: Post by techmaster (original poster) »

OK, I've decide to get a Spring Lever. Since I only do espresso (no need for steam), I figure keep it simple.
I found a used Elektra Art.S1 for $1,250... but I can buy a brand new Ponte Vecchio 2 group for that price...

Is there a compelling reason to got with one over the other?

Lambretta58
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Lambretta58 »

No, not looking for a La Pavoni. I don't really want a manual lever, except for a maybe a robot.

This is what I would really like.

https://lapera.ca/
LMWDP #675

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

techmaster wrote:OK, I've decide to get a Spring Lever. Since I only do espresso (no need for steam), I figure keep it simple.
I found a used Elektra Art.S1 for $1,250... but I can buy a brand new Ponte Vecchio 2 group for that price...

Is there a compelling reason to got with one over the other?
If you regularly make four or more coffees, then consider the PV. An MCaL can do it, but not as easily as a two-group machine. For performance, the relative strengths and weaknesses of the Elektra vs. the PV group haven't changed in decades. I have no experience with the PV.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

dominico
Team HB

#10: Post by dominico »

The main thing to watch out for with PVs is that they make tiny shots: they allow a smaller amount of water in than some other spring levers.

If you are concerned with temp stability over numerous shots you should probably consider the machines with a commercial style lever group, like the bosco style you were referring to earlier.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?