Source for home grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
beangirl

#1: Post by beangirl »

Hello all,

I have purchased a Technivorm Moccamaster for my niece and she told me she would like a grinder also. She drinks one cup of coffee a day. I've been looking online but I am unsure of what is the best way to proceed with this. I would like to purchase a grinder that is either made in USA or some other western country with strict Quality Control laws ie France, Italy, Netherlands, etc.

I've read that the Baratza Encore is the usual grinder for home use but I think it is made in China. I was thinking of getting a Macap since I think it is made in Italy but I'm not sure. In the USA, there is a clear and important difference between "built/manufactured in USA" as opposed to "made in USA". I was also thinking of getting a Mazzer but again I don't know where it is made.

Question #1: Which grinder do you recommend?

Question #2: Where is a reputable site that I can purchase this grinder from? (reputable = has Better Business Bureau page, well-reviewed online, etc.)

Thank you in advance.

mallen4248

#2: Post by mallen4248 »

#1. Budget?

#2.in US Whole Latte Love, Chris Coffee, 1st-Line, Clive Coffee, Prima Coffee are all good online vendors.
In vino veritas.... and caffeine helps the next morning....

SJM

#3: Post by SJM »

I have a Macap paired with my Technivorm Moccamaster, and I think it is a very solid match.
I don't remember where I purchased it; it's been quite a few years now.

Probably here: https://www.chriscoffee.com/MACAP-Doser ... mc4c18.htm

beangirl (original poster)

#4: Post by beangirl (original poster) »

@mallen4248 - I have no budget limitations. With that said, I don't intend to waste money. I just want the most dependable, well-made and simple grinder for her whether that grinder is $100 or $1k.

redbone

#5: Post by redbone »

You can also purchase directly from Italy. Eureka Mignon Silenzio/Perfetto/Specialita' (2018). Grinder such as MIGNON BREW PRO or ATOM.

Read What happened to Macap grinders in N.A.?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Nick Name

#6: Post by Nick Name »

beangirl wrote:@mallen4248 - I have no budget limitations. With that said, I don't intend to waste money. I just want the most dependable, well-made and simple grinder for her whether that grinder is $100 or $1k.
Since there is no budget (unless 1K is the top, in which case there is a budget :wink: ) Mahlkoenig makes great grinders in Germany:
https://europeancoffeetrip.com/seeing-m ... roduction/

Their EK43 and Tanzania are solid grinders. Also the Swiss made Ditting might tick your boxes. Ditting is a part of the Mahlkoenig group.

Many traditional Italian grinders (like Mazzer) are generally optimised for grinding espresso, so I wouldn't suggest them for Moccamaster. Some of the modern models are more flexible when it comes to grinding for filter coffee.

Eureka has a line of grinders suitable for filter coffee: https://www.eureka.co.it/en/catalogo/pr ... index.aspx
If you are totally allergic to Asian manufacturing it should be noted that if the grinder has electronic dosing, then it is very likely that some of the components are of Asian origin. You do have a choice of getting a grinder without electronic doser, like: https://www.eureka.co.it/en/catalogo/pr ... /1/25.aspx

beangirl (original poster)

#7: Post by beangirl (original poster) »

@Nick Name - Thank you for the suggestions however they seem to be a bit overkill since my niece only drinks a cup of coffee a day. It also seems to be quite complicated to set up (calibrate) and maintain also even though it is made in Germany. Although I did like the fact that the EK43 is said to also be an excellent spice grinder. That makes me consider it much more but it still seems like a big waste of funds for only a cup a day.

Would it make more sense to just go with the Baratza Encore?

Nick Name

#8: Post by Nick Name »

Baratza's grinders are usually at the top of their price range when it comes to the taste in the cup. On the other hand they may not be the most durable grinders there are. Apparently though, their customer support in US is top-notch.

I hear that Baratza Vario with steel burrs is an excellent grinder for filter coffee. But if your niece isn't hoping for the best possible cup of coffee then the Encore should do fine. Or preferably Virtuoso if you want something in between.

voozy

#9: Post by voozy »

Baratzas are all manufactured in Taiwan and the lower models aren't very durable, though as everyone says, their US customer support is excellent. I don't know what else to suggest if you are set on US or EU manufacture. Every such grinder I can think of has some impracticality for your purpose, even if you go completely crazy and get something like a Monolith (single dose espresso grinder) or Bunn (big commercial grinder). As an aficionado I'd consider a Bunn if I had the kitchen space for it, but a recipient who just wants something practical would probably find it excessive. An EK43 would be ridiculous. You can sometimes find used Bunns fairly cheap, and people here like to buy them and modify them in various ways.

Seriously the Baratza Encore or (next model up and somewhat better grind quality) Virtuoso should be perfectly fine for this purpose. If it breaks they will fix it, for free within warranty or for a reasonable charge if out of warranty. They are also good about selling replacement parts if you want to fix it yourself.
Everyone drinks Voozy.

slipchuck

#10: Post by slipchuck »

redbone wrote:You can also purchase directly from Italy. Eureka Mignon Silenzio/Perfetto/Specialita' (2018). Grinder such as MIGNON BREW PRO or ATOM.

Read What happened to Macap grinders in N.A.?
+1

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”