Solis Barista Perfetta Vs. Breville Bambino

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Fake Coffee Nerd

#1: Post by Fake Coffee Nerd »

Looking to purchase my first espresso machine. I was considering the Breville Bambino (not Plus) but then came across the Solis Barista Perfetta Plus.

This machine is now selling for $329 USD so prices are similar. It seems like a very similar machine to the Bambino but with a pressure gauge and 3-way solenoid valve (I believe the base Bambino doesn't have this). It also comes with higher quality accessories.

Some problems I've seen mentioned about the Solis are related to low brewing temps and brewing pressure being too high. I've also seen reviews mentioning water leaking from the machine.

Has anyone had any experience with both machines? Or even with just the Solis? Have you experienced these issues and how did you address them?

Last thing, are there any other machines within this price range (300-400 USD) that rival these and that you would recommend?

I don't care for the auto steaming of the Bambino Plus and I also don't want to have to do any mods to the actual machine (don't mind upgrading portafiliter, tamper, etc), so please don't recommend the Gaggia Classic Pro.

Thanks in advance!

CoffeeInJapan

#2: Post by CoffeeInJapan »

I had a similar question, but as I am in Japan I need 100v model. The Solis has a couple (Gran Gusto $350 and Perfetta $450) but not the Breville.

Fake Coffee Nerd (original poster)

#3: Post by Fake Coffee Nerd (original poster) »

I've also seen a few comments about the Solis having divots in the puck after extraction.
Can anyone who has this machine comment about their experience with it?

Fake Coffee Nerd (original poster)

#4: Post by Fake Coffee Nerd (original poster) »

I spoke to someone at Seattle Coffee Gear yesterday and she told me that the divots are normal for this machine and they happen due to how the machine sends the water through the showerscreen.
She also said that this shouldn't affect extraction (as long as there was good puck prep), which I find very hard to believe.