So frustrating to pick a grinder! - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
raeyn

#31: Post by raeyn »

I've also been doing a ton of research on the same group of grinders as you're looking at. DF64 seemed like a decent buy but prices have gone up and I've read about more and more issues (and I'm seriously concerned about long term parts availability from China). I won't even consider it now.

I've also considered some of the others. I've watched videos on the Sette grinding. It's painful. And I've read of people going through 4 of them.

The basic problem that I can see is that your two ideas are fundamentally antithetical to each other. One you leave the beans in, other you single dose. I don't see how it will practically work for you to leave beans in the hopper for your wife and then remove the hopper and beans for you, use your SD hopper, than put the other back. That would get old fast. Also, there is nothing that gets my SO more frustrated than a lot of static and grounds everywhere.

Here's a thought. Obviously, weighing beans is best but if you wife doesn't want to do that, you could get a couple of different sized scoops and find one that is close to your dose size. Then you wife just scoops, drops in the beans, and grinds them. James Hoffmann really dislikes volumetric measurements (scoops) but did a video all about weighing and scooping beans (with others helping) and found that people could actually be very precise measuring via scoops (almost to his frustration!). ;)

One other question you'll need to consider. Will you ever want to grind for any other type of coffee? If so, the list shrinks.

Lastly, there is no way to express just how much I've been obsessed by reading and watching videos on grinders for about 6 weeks now. From what everyone has said, you simply cannot beat the Niche - not only for dead easy workflow, but for taste. It goes up against $2K+ grinders and holds its own. There are several people on this forum who owned $2K-3K grinders and they no longer use them in favor of the Niche - because the cup is so similar AND the workflow blows it away. Honestly, I don't see how your wife wouldn't like it. Scoop dump in grinds, flip switch, voila. It's one of the least messy, easiest, quietest, and most versatile grinders you can get. It has no issues handling from espresso to cold brew and seamlessly and accurately switching back and forth between them. I honestly think it's worth the wait. Many people in the 250+ page Niche thread have asked how it compared to the Sette in terms of cup quality and without hesitation, they all say it's a significant improvement.

Now, maybe the Sette has something else in the workflow that makes those others drawbacks worth it to you. They make different grinders because people like different things. But it doesn't take long reading about the Niche to realize it's a special little grinder.

PS Don't get the new Eureka Oro Mignon SD. I was really excited about it and all the reviews are showing significant issues with it.

JB90068
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by JB90068 »

raeyn wrote:The basic problem that I can see is that your two ideas are fundamentally antithetical to each other. One you leave the beans in, other you single dose. I don't see how it will practically work for you to leave beans in the hopper for your wife and then remove the hopper and beans for you, use your SD hopper, than put the other back. That would get old fast. Also, there is nothing that gets my SO more frustrated than a lot of static and grounds everywhere.
I think you are spot on with your suggestions Raeyn. The only thing I would add is something I suggested earlier in the thread. Get a single dose grinder and the pre weigh your beans into "test tubes". This way all your wife has to do is grab a pre portioned "tube" and pour it into the grinder. You will need a scale to weigh your beans and if she or you want to weigh your shots that can be done as well.
Here are a couple shots of my setup.

You can get inexpensive tubes from Amazon like these if you like along with inexpensive metal racks to hold them.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CBQ4VXL/re ... UTF8&psc=1
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

OK31
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by OK31 »

I haven't seen anyone mention any of the Eureka models. their new Mignon now has a SD option. I personally went for the Specialty 75 (Atom) and could not be happier. The bellows hopper may seem to be a bit of a gimmic and it likely is but didnt stop me from getting it in a smoked container and smaller size. Do I use it often outside of cleaning out the machine? no, but it works somewhat.

titan

#34: Post by titan »

I was very close to order a niche, but seriously the idea of paying one tax on top of another does not really sit well with me, and I think we should discuss it more. I was happy there was a thread about it on reddit.
Even though I am in the market, I am not in a rush currently. Despite the negative reviews, I think Eureka's approach to improve the workflow on SD is great and their next batch will be better. Given everything, I'd take mignon SD every day over niche, especially since niche is also not without its flaws and everyone praises the quality of the cup from the SD.

Oskuk

#35: Post by Oskuk »

Any Eureka is a real grinder, if we compare the plastic Baratzas. Settte and Vario has One big advantage: you do not have to watch the that long in your desk. ;-) But, as many have commented: they have cheap spares!...

Gargamel40 (original poster)

#36: Post by Gargamel40 (original poster) »

Well i decided for Eureka Mignon Oro XL. It will pair with Profitec Pro 600. I'm thinking about the single dose upgrade with bellows but not now. I need to learn first.

JB90068
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by JB90068 » replying to Gargamel40 »

When you are ready for the bellows, Etsy is a good place to find them. I did that for the XL that I used to own. Worked well.

Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.