Smart plug recommendations - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
slipchuck

#21: Post by slipchuck »

This is what I use
10amp rating https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/geen ... 9700p.html

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Castillo2001 (original poster)

#22: Post by Castillo2001 (original poster) » replying to slipchuck »

Be careful with that one, it only has a 10amp/1250watt max rating. A lot of the prosumer machines pull more than that and could cause that to fail and worse be a fire hazard. If your unit is under those numbers than you should be okay, but I would definitely double check.

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
slipchuck

#23: Post by slipchuck » replying to Castillo2001 »

Nice catch
Will be replacing it

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#24: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

wojtowip wrote:I've had great luck with TPLink Kasa smart plugs. They work and integrate well with other ecosystems. No problem running a large HX on it for 3+ years and also use others for lighter duty applications. In my time of using them, never woke up to a machine that was powered off if we had power in the home.

Me too. Think the app is great also.

https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/s ... -plug-mini
CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

foam2

#25: Post by foam2 »

I have the wall outlet from kasa and really like it. It is rated for 15A.

https://www.kasasmart.com/us/products/ ... tlet-kp200

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by baristainzmking »

I just got the new version of the Wemo Smart plug and it won't "wake up". Sigh
Julia

#27: Post by Castillo2001 (original poster) » replying to baristainzmking »

That isnt good. I got mine two days ago, I had to do a firmware update as soon as it connected but is working fine. Let me clarify that by saying I dont have my new espresso machine yet, so I just set it up with a schedule and plugged a light into it and it has been working fine with that. Obviously the espresso machine is going to be pulling a lot more electricity, so my story might change once I get that in place.

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by baristainzmking » replying to Castillo2001 »

I don't get any kind of light, white, orange, green, nothing. The idea of doing trouble shooting and updating the minute you get the device is a real turn off. I also see that quite a few people mention that it often gets disconnect from the WiFi and needs to be reset. Do all smart plugs act that way?

I had an older device that worked well, but it was only 10amp and I was advised that it was not safe.
Julia

#29: Post by Castillo2001 (original poster) »

updating firmware on a device right out of package is getting more and more common. All it means is from the time your device was built and packaged that they released an update, could be addressing a bug or adding a feature. For the disconnect issue, every smart device I researched had a certain level of users complaining about disconnects. Even the connection that gets added to the Linea Mini has users complaining about disconnects and it cost way more than one of these little smart plugs. One of the reasons I chose the Wemo is supposedly it will continue running its schedule if it loses connection and also will default to Off if for some reason it loses it configuration all together. Figure if all of them were going to have this issue, go with one that handles it the best. But this is all based on online reviews not my own experience yet.

For your device, when it is plugged in are you not getting any light? How about when you hit the button? If you are getting no lights at all you may have gotten a dead on arrival unit. It sucks but honestly it happens, I work in IT for the State of CA and we will put in orders of 3,000 laptops and with out fail a dozen or so will come DOA. If you are getting no lights what so ever, return it if you can or atleast talk with the vendor you got it from they have a 3 year warranty so it should be fully covered. Also yes your old plug rated at 10amp could definitely cause a problem as most of these espresso machines are rated for over that, if there was ever an issue or fire they could blame it on you not connecting to a proper power source and it would all be on you.

Mashie

#30: Post by Mashie »

Julia,

Try resetting the smart plug. You can find out how to by googling "reset Wemo smart plug".

I have had a Wemo smart plug for about a month now and have had no problems. On the back of my plug is a sticker with a 1-800 number on it to call if you have problems.

I totally understand your frustration!