Smallest Kafatek - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Bluenoser

#21: Post by Bluenoser »

exidrion wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn'r burr removal like that mess with the "precise alignment" so lauded after in Denis' grinders?
You always have to get at burrs for cleaning. It's a conical. But the whole assembly is milled precise enough the is no significant change when you remove and replace the top assembly. No actual burrs get removed

exidrion

#22: Post by exidrion replying to Bluenoser »

Apologies, I meant the flat in one of the videos above, but I assume the same thing applies. Thank you!

Bluenoser

#23: Post by Bluenoser replying to exidrion »

I emailed Dennis to ask about his grinders.. and I seem to recall alignment on burrs was one of the reasons he decided to do his own grinders.. so that would be a high design priority for him.

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by mgrayson »

Found one about 80 microns high...

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by emradguy »

When Denis sold the Shuriken burrs as aftermarket items, he also told us to get some aluminum foil and fold it a couple of times to shim the lower burr when mounting it. We placed 3 shims, at 120° to each other around the perimeter. Once the bolts were well-seated we could remove the shims. Obviously, this was to ensure center alignment. The Kafatek grinders are really lauded for the face-face spacing alignment of the burrs (among other things). That's not something most end users can fix on their own and, fortunately, not something end users are even at risk of messing up by removing and replacing burrs.
LMWDP #748

ash4889 (original poster)

#26: Post by ash4889 (original poster) »

Thanks for the little laugh this Sunday morning....

Nate42

#27: Post by Nate42 »

exidrion wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn'r burr removal like that mess with the "precise alignment" so lauded after in Denis' grinders?
The burr carriers in a monolith are precisely aligned and flat. The burrs themselves are likewise verified to meet Denis's specifications. He makes his own now, and previously screened burrs from other manufacturers. If you are careful that all surfaces are clean, and carefully torque and center the burr when installing it, it will maintain alignment.

Again though, removing burrs is only necessary if you are replacing/upgrading them.