Small Roastery Batch Grinder

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jfjj

#1: Post by jfjj »

Hey guys, I need a small batch grinder for my roastery. For the most part we don't offer ground coffee but I do get the occasional request. I have an opportunity to buy 1) a Mahlkonig Kenia 400-800lbs of use ($1000CAD) 2) Ditting 804 new burrs and parts ($1800CAD) 3) or a Bugg G3 For $880CAD shipped with new burrs and recently serviced.

I really like the Ditting 804 and feel like it would be worth the short term pain but not sure it's worth the $800 premium over the Kenia. The Ditting and Mahl are local buys and the Bunn will need to be shipped.
- Jean

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

I don't know the Bugg, but like both the Ditting and the Kenia (older models). Will you need new burrs for the Kenia? They look like weird spaceships. I might lean towards Ditting for quality, but wonder if Kenia might be faster. It's infrequent so.... depending on timeline one might go in search of a Bunzilla. Cost savings and fun weekend project all in one!
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Milligan »

Since it is for business use then you have to strongly consider ROI. Will you make back 800CAD on the difference between a standard Bunn and the Ditting? Do you plan to use it for more than just pregrinding people's coffees? A Bunn is going to be a better grind for folks than any home-use grinder that one can easily buy at a department store or Amazon. I looked for a long time for a G1-3 on the used market but those things have gone up a lot since Covid.