Small batch roaster

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
The French Dude

#1: Post by The French Dude »

Hi guys.
I am a coffee shop owner since 7 years.
I started home roasting few month ago with a behmor. Which is frustrating to me because of the lack of control.
Now I would like to upgrade it with a small commercial objective... And a tight budget.
I was looking for a small diedrich which is really expensive. I don't doubt about its awesome quality but I am not ready to put serious money on it for now. And those are rare and still expensive on used market.
I have a sweet opportunity on a 2.5kg toper that comes with :

- USB interface (cropster or Artisan ready)
- Chaff collector and piping
- New gas line with manometer
- New pilot and ignition system.

My question is will I get some real quality batch out of this toper?
I am really quality oriented and if the toper option is not able to satisfy I will probably wait for more money in my wallet.

Moreover what the USB interface will give to me? Just data recording? Some automation?

Thanks guys for your answers I have a good coffee to drink now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hankua
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by hankua »

Some of the older Turkish roasters had heat/gas control with the pid on/off; without a gas valve. If the machine has a new manometer, it sounds like a gas valve in present. The other nice control variable is with incoming drum air. If the machine has adjustable heat and air you should be OK, operator attentiveness is the other major input along with greens quality. Always nice to get a killer deal.....

Some of the other modifications you can do yourself, like relocating the BT thermocouple to a lower position for better accuracy.

The French Dude (original poster)

#3: Post by The French Dude (original poster) »

Thank you for your input!