Slayer Single Group - 110v/220v advice

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TxHr

#1: Post by TxHr »

Hello Everyone!

I have been dreaming on a Slayer single group since it was introduced. That said, I am torn between the 110v and 220v option. I primarily pull espresso shots and several times a year we have parties where I need the ability to make 6-8 lattes. That said, I am looking for advise on which route to go. I currently have a 110 outlet where the machine will sit. I can run a 220 but will need to cut Sheetrock to do so. My question is the 220 really worth the effort or will 110 be more than adequate.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon

shawndo

#2: Post by shawndo »

Cutting sheetrock is fleeting, 220v is forever! (it is worth cutting sheetrock)
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Zoey

#3: Post by Zoey »

I've found that the machine has absolutely no problem with keeping up on 110V. Plenty of steam power.

nickw

#4: Post by nickw »

For the home, 110v is fine.

For more steam power at dinner parties, you could bump the tank to 2 bar (I run at 1.7 all the time), and goto the bigger steam tip. Recovery isn't that long. Might only cut a few second off (under 5).

That said, if it's easy to install the 220v, and you're going to be in your house for a while. It would make an positive incremental difference. Although, imho, the bigger difference would be if Slayer allowed both the steam and brew boiler heaters to fire at the same time. Wether on 220v, or 110v (if they went to 20amp).

Peppersass

#5: Post by Peppersass »

nickw wrote:Although, imho, the bigger difference would be if Slayer allowed both the steam and brew boiler heaters to fire at the same time. Wether on 220v, or 110v (if they went to 20amp).
Is there a mode that allows both heaters to fire at the same time? My 110V GS/3 has that option, with the intention that it should be off (alternate heating) on a 15A circuit and on (simultaneous heating) on a 20A circuit. I've run it both ways and the recovery time and warmup time are definitely faster with simultaneous heating.

While we're on the subject, check the amperage on your 110V circuit and check Slayer's specs. If they specify a 20A circuit, and yours is 15A, then I would go ahead and install a 220V circuit. It's the same amount of work as upgrading the 15A to a 20A. Be sure to install either a GFCI circuit breaker or outlet, as the equipment works with water.

dynamiteid

#6: Post by dynamiteid »

Only do 220V if you really want a project. I run my Slayer on 110V, and it has no problem cranking out 15 consecutive lattes during brunch parties. I have my steam set at 1.5bar, and it recovers just fine between consecutive shots/steam cycles. This thing is as close to a commercial set-up as I have experienced.

Dave

nickw

#7: Post by nickw »

Peppersass wrote:Is there a mode that allows both heaters to fire at the same time? My 110V GS/3 has that option, with the intention that it should be off (alternate heating) on a 15A circuit and on (simultaneous heating) on a 20A circuit. I've run it both ways and the recovery time and warmup time are definitely faster with simultaneous heating.
Sadly, it's one or the other. In the menu there's an option for brew or steam tank priority.

clivecoffee
Sponsor

#8: Post by clivecoffee »

Hi Brandon,

With that type of use, you should notice no functional difference between 110v and 220v. The 110v is still recommended for carts and small shops, as long as you aren't planning on doing a lot of big Americanos back to back (I think we've only had a couple shops order in 220v, but the majority of shop and home users have been totally satisfied with 110v). The initial warmup time would be faster with 220v, but the energy saver mode already allows your machine to be warmed up and ready whenever you want.

@BP