Skale II issue

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by bznelson91 »

Don't really know where to put this; it was between here and Knockbox, feel free to move if desired.

I recently purchased a Skale II. It works well in terms of actually, you know, weighing, but it's got a problem that really impairs my use case: The weighing platform is noticeably tilted, almost 2 degrees from horizontal, from left to right. I'm trying to use it with the DE Scale Adapter V2, and of course, because geometry, the lean is much more pronounced, making it almost touch the drip tray on the "down" side.

Anyone else have this issue? I've sent an email to their support address, we'll see what we get. I tried putting something under the pads of the scale as a quick fix, but it does not like that at all, weight jumping all over the place. Next, I'll try putting a shim between the DE adapter and the weighing platform, maybe that'll be a workaround until I get it fixed or replaced.

Brad

bznelson91 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by bznelson91 (original poster) »

Here are a couple of photos, I think it's pretty obvious as to the issue and the degree of tilt:

Brad

benrudick

#3: Post by benrudick »

Curious! I have a Skale II (too), but I use this adapter from etsy, which allows me to level that surface via the two screws and so counteract any lean from the Skale: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1385816924 ... -cup-scale

mikelipino

#4: Post by mikelipino »

Under the weighing tray is the platform. Is that also not level? If so, under the sticker are two 3mm hex screws

Removing those and the platform you see the strain gauge. Is that level? If so, you might have something on the underside of the platform that's making it not level. If the strain gauge itself isn't level, that might be a QA defect

Supporter ♡

#5: Post by bznelson91 (original poster) »

The platform is unlevel as well, the tray fits against it perfectly, carrying the unevenness through. As for the screws under the sticker, well, they're under the sticker that says "Warranty void if removed" :) I'm reticent to remove it until I hear from Atomax as to whether they'll warranty the device. Having said that, I do wonder if I could resolve the issue by getting under there. It's tempting.

Brad

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

Check that the upper platform sits in the four recesses in the lower platform and doesn't pop up.

I had that several years ago, but don't recall how I solved it.

Edit: If the user offering that model isn't Damian, you might want to let Damian know. At a glance, it looks just like Damian's adapter.

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by bznelson91 (original poster) »

Sorry if I wasn't clear before, this picture should be worth at least several words :)

The lower platform has some "slop" in it; if I turn the whole scale upside down, the platform levels out and looks normal.

For now, I used a better shim under the right side of the scale, and although it complains with a little slow flashing "!" on the front, I verified that it weighs, in this configuration, within a tenth of a gram for weights up to 350g compared to another scale, so it should be good to get me by until I can get a replacement or whatever Atomax does.

Brad

Supporter ♡

#8: Post by bznelson91 (original poster) »

Also, the one I built is this one; Damian's appears to be this one. There are some definite differences, but the etymology is unclear to me at first glance.

Brad

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

If that plate rocks, it sounds like either the bolts that mount the plate to the load cell or the load cell to the base.

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by bznelson91 (original poster) »

It definitely does rock. I'm more and more tempted to just open it up and look. If it's just something loose, I'll fix it, no harm, no foul. I guess if it truly voids my warranty, hey, what's $100 compared to a DE1 and a Lagom P64? :P

Brad