Single serve automated drip coffee maker

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
batman_

#1: Post by batman_ »

I am looking for automated pour over coffee machine that can do immersion as well as percolation? Such one exists?. Is it possible to have \also controllable bloom time and temperature and possibly flow rate.

The latter exists in Brevelle precision brewer but what I see if making one cup of coffee (say sub 10oz), it tends to fall apart, my reasoning is the basket is so big to the amount of ground coffee thats being brewed (not enough time for water to come in contact before they pass), I am thinking I can remediate this with pour over adapter and using Kalita wave/v60

technivorm cup one imitates percolation as well as immersion but restricting the control of flow. But then I think it doesn't have controllable temp range as well as bloom time. Maybe the bloom time is something I can remediate by controlling the machine with a smart switch (right?)

behmor brazen plus - has all the parameters I am looking for but hard to find any single serve usage on this. Can it brew directly into my zojirushi thermos or need the carafe to activate the spout?

Have anyone used xbloom and made consistent good coffee with beans you bring yourself? I am considering dipping this if there is no reasonable one cup automated brewer.

thoughts?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

There's quite a community around XBloom on Discord and a lot of the people are using their own beans. The grinder and pour quality I consider to be very good (disclaimer: I know two XBloom employees). I've had some high-end coffees on it and was not disappointed with the results. I understand there is a new revision of the dripper, but I haven't looked into it in detail. It is my wife's, so she gets to pick coffees and enjoys it immensely. I'm generally relegated to doing things by hand. but sometimes sneak in a pod from time to time.

I'm not certain what you mean by an automated machine that does both immersion and percolation. I haven't seen something like a Hario Switch where the grinds are immersed for a length of time while the valve is closed and then there is some percolation at the end.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

batman_ wrote:behmor brazen plus - has all the parameters I am looking for but hard to find any single serve usage on this. Can it brew directly into my zojirushi thermos or need the carafe to activate the spout?
The smallest batch I've brewed with my Brazen is 400 ml. You might be able to do 300 - 350 ml, but it's not ideal. I typically brew 700 or 900 ml batches in the morning for two or three people (I get two cups they get one).

The filter basket has a pause and serve feature but it's removable. There's an O-ring on the inside of the valve that can be removed to remove the pause and serve button.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

Jeff wrote:I'm not certain what you mean by an automated machine that does both immersion and percolation. I haven't seen something like a Hario Switch where the grinds are immersed for a length of time while the valve is closed and then there is some percolation at the end.
The Breville has an electric valve at the bottom of the brew chamber. For smaller quantities it does immersion by keeping the valve closed for the entire brew cycle - so like a Clever or Switch. For larger quantities the valve only closes when there is no carafe present, and maybe also during the 'bloom' cycle - I can't remember.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada
★ Helpful

batman_ (original poster)

#5: Post by batman_ (original poster) »

trying now with moccamaster cup one, the disappointing part is you cannot automate bloom time with smart switch as the manual switch triggers off as soon as power off is detected, Also the sprout channeling is an issue, unless you stir, most of water gets in the middle and creates a well of coffee around it.

Brazen customer support replied saying the least would be two cups as it has to do with their adapter and contact with water w.r.t time. It can be still used when cleverly coupled with pour over device like hario but I would rather look for a machine with slight dip in performance/taste.

Adding to my list would be oxo 8 cup brewer with single cup adapter.

batman_ (original poster)

#6: Post by batman_ (original poster) »

has anyone experienced Bunn MyCafe/MCU? can you compare against Moccamaster cup one?

RyanJE

#7: Post by RyanJE »

I have struggled with the same thing, looking for good small drip options. There are none.. I backed the new ratio in hopes.. I just want a machine for 400ml brews.

Also looks like hario might come out with something, just looks expensive. Or there's this, haven't tried it...

https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Autopour ... 19&sr=8-34
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....