Single dosing grinder recommendations for $1000 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Patagent

#1: Post by Patagent »

I have an orthopedic hand issue (probably computer related) that makes hand grinding (HG-1 and Lido E) a chore sometimes. Would like to eventually get an electric grinder to complement the HG-1. Most important consideration would be single dosing (low retention) capabilities. A grinder that can handle both espresso and pour over duties would be nice as well.

My initial thinking is a flat burr grinder to complement my 83mm conical. Do I have good single dosing options for $1000?

aecletec

#2: Post by aecletec »

Any thoughts on motorising the HG-1 to make it easier? There's a few threads here about that if I recall correctly.
Otherwise the Baratza Forte comes to mind at under 1k... probably a bunch of others but maybe less hand and retention friendly for dual duty.

csepulv

#3: Post by csepulv »

I single dose with my Ceado e37s. With coupons/discounts, it can be bought for around $1050.

Great grinder. I keep the flap completely open, to minimize retention, but it does spray a bit as a result. (There are various threads discussing the spraying.) So I grind into a cup and then pour the grinds (with a OE funnel) into the portafilter. It doesn't slow me down and probably helps with more even distributions.
Chris

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 »

Adding a motor to your HG1 will cost less than getting another grinder. If you want to have another grinder it will be hard to get something better than the HG1 for $1000.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

redbone

#5: Post by redbone »

Saw the Eureka Zenith 65 E today at IDC. Impressive piece of machinery up close.
65 mm. steel flat burrs
500 Watts
1290 rpm Grinding speed
Stepless micrometric adjustments
Easy programming timed single and double dosing via digital display
18" tall

Could be had for about 1K usd.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Idfixe

#6: Post by Idfixe »

Fiorenzato F4 fits the bill.
Great grinder for price...

jeffb

#7: Post by jeffb »

Totally agree with the F4 recommendation. Presently have Monolith Conical, prior used the F4, very low retention, very good grind!

redbone

#8: Post by redbone »

F4 also a good grinder and only falls to number two for me due to it's Mazzer like grind adjustment ring vs the easy dial on the Eureka Zenith 65 E. The Eureka burrs can also be removed for cleaning and placed back at the same grind setting prior to removal.
The F4 also has 58mm vs the Eureka EZ 65mm burr set. The Fiorenzato F64 closest competitor in price would be the Eureka EZ 65 E having 64mm burrs.
The F4 can be had for hundreds less.

* With the market now having many grinders capable of producing a vg grind, I started looking at other factors even beyond the obvious cost, noise and retention. Factors such as ease of grind setting, ease of cleaning and ease of timer setting menu.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

blackrobe1540

#9: Post by blackrobe1540 »

Side question here: any good HG-1 motorization modification threads around? I haven't found them yet but will keep looking.
John in Chicago
LMWDP #561

rockethead26

#10: Post by rockethead26 »

Another happy, single dosing F4 owner here.