Single dosing grinder budget ~$650?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
cgibsong002

#1: Post by cgibsong002 » Jan 13, 2020, 7:58 pm

Looking for my first dedicated espresso grinder. Typically i only have coffee (pourovers) every other day (or less), and switch beans after a couple cups or so. So it seems to me single dosing makes the most sense, and is what i currently do with my pourovers.

I'm currently debating between the eureka mignon specialita and the niche zero. I know for sure the niche kind of fits the bill better as it was specifically designed with that intention, but it's also a couple hundred more.

Feedback on single dosing with the specialita is inconsistent. I've read it can be amazing single dosing, I've read some who don't like it as much as the niche for the same purpose. I've also seen a number of mods on the specialita that seem to help with single dosing.

As far as grind quality, again I've found reviews favoring either one for grind quality and consistency. I'd imagine they will both be fantastic dialed in.

Retention reportedly is very similar between the two. Grind speed maybe quicker on the specialita. One of the big things on the niche is it seems easier to make accurate grind adjustments. That kind of concerns me as I'm very much against waste and the easier and quicker to dial in the better. I really haven't seen all that much though on what it's like to dial in each.

As for switching between brew and espresso... If i went specialita, I'd keep my aergrind for brew. If i went niche, I'd probably have to sell the aergrind and use niche for both.

Any thoughts? Is niche really that much better for an extra $250? I really can't find much at all to say it's better at all other than maybe easier to dial in?

Anything else in the price worth considering?

thirdcrackfourthwave

#2: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave » replying to cgibsong002 » Jan 13, 2020, 9:22 pm

I've used both these grinders. I prefer the Niche. It is easier to dial in and switch back and forth between coffees. I think it gives a better grind as well but it is probably pretty close. Retention on the Niche is reported to be somewhere around 0.02 and .04 grams. The couple of times I've bothered to measure that is a pretty accurate number--I came in at .02. The Eureka is reported to be 'somewhere under a gram.' I never measured. The retail price of a Eureka is around 680. I know I didn't pay 930 all in for the Niche. I don't remember but I know it was less than 800. Is it worth the difference? Your money your call. I've never regretted purchasing the Niche.

Mountain

#3: Post by Mountain » Jan 14, 2020, 12:14 am

I have only used the Niche and a M4. The Niche has been very easy to dial in for espresso shots. And, I use a variety of beans from light to medium roast. And, I am pulling shots on a Decent which I believe is very persnickety when it comes to grind and puck prep.

So, the amount of coffee wasted is very low which is important to me since I am not a roaster and buy roasted beans.

blondica73
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by blondica73 » Jan 14, 2020, 10:16 am

Niche Zero is extremely consistent and I only paid $700 for mine, brand new.

cgibsong002

#5: Post by cgibsong002 » Jan 14, 2020, 10:39 am

The specialita can be had for less than $450, but regardless, Ok still curious to hear the differences. When people say easier to dial in, is it about inconsistent settings? Hysteresis? Or just a more user friendly adjustment dial?

cgibsong002

#6: Post by cgibsong002 » Jan 16, 2020, 12:46 pm

Any other opinions on why not the eureka for single dosing? Still struggling to really understand the difference without using them.

Soharu

#7: Post by Soharu » Jan 16, 2020, 1:53 pm

cgibsong002 wrote:The specialita can be had for less than $450, but regardless, Ok still curious to hear the differences. When people say easier to dial in, is it about inconsistent settings? Hysteresis? Or just a more user friendly adjustment dial?
Where do you get it for that?

dak

#8: Post by dak » Jan 16, 2020, 5:34 pm

While YMMV, I have been pleasantly surprised with the Specialita for single dosing after some relatively simple and cheap modifications. It also requires RDT/WDT for best results but I've been getting very fluffy grinds even at very fine grind settings and very uniform bottomless portafilter extraction results. Total cost was about $20 for my mods and they are all readily available through amazon/Home Depot. I did use a Dremel to cut a notch in the PVC tube (not shown but inside the bellows you see) but that was the extent of the handy work.

dak

#9: Post by dak » Jan 16, 2020, 6:13 pm

Also the Specialta gives you the option of a traditional hopper for parties or serving a lot of guests when you don't want to single dose.

cgibsong002

#10: Post by cgibsong002 » Jan 16, 2020, 8:35 pm

Yeah i do like the option although it would be very limited use. Why did you add the "blow up" system? Purely on the basis of retention, or what issues were you having? Would you not recommend for single dosing otherwise?