Single dosing grinder around $600 budget

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bdyoung2

#1: Post by bdyoung2 »

Anyone have a specific single dosing setup they like that is in the $600 price range? I'm looking around for used Mazzer's to convert into a single dose and wondering if anyone has done this with success. I'm also contemplating a Eureka Mignon Specialita and wondering how it does as a single doser? Seattle Coffee Gear review says its good...

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by blondica73 »

Niche Zero

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by PIXIllate »

Vario

quamau

#4: Post by quamau »

Mine is a Super Jolly (bought used at 150€ without hopper) that was recently converted to single dosing via the Daniel Wong kit (which was super easy to install and OK to use). Plenty of budget left for upgrading burrs to SSP, for a long-term solution.

I am happy with retention and workflow, and I am still on stock burrs. However, do note that this is my first grinder, so I am unable to compare.

dreadnatty08

#5: Post by dreadnatty08 »

I use my Eureka Mignon Manuale as a single doser. Just got set up with a 3D printed mini hopper and bellows from a fellow HB member and it's really slick now! Little to no retention; works great. I think you'd be plenty happy with the Specialita.

Edit: I did indeed get the one Jeff links to below and love it. :)

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

I don't have any personal experience with the Eureka or with the single-dosing mods, but this 3D-printed funnel/bellows looks really slick. (There are other options in that thread and others as well).

Eureka Mignon Specialita Single Dosing Modification

I'd also watch Buy/Sell here as mid-range grinders in good condition pop up from time to time as people upgrade to the crazy-expensive ones.

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by PIXIllate »

Jeff wrote:
I'd also watch Buy/Sell here as mid-range grinders in good condition pop up from time to time as people upgrade to the crazy-expensive ones.
I resemble that remark. :lol: I'm keeping the Vario for decaf when my Monolith arrives.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by emradguy »

I agree with the recommendation for a Niche Zero, unless you're very interested in flat burrs, then I would suggest continuing your quest for a used Mazzer to cleanup and upgrade burrs. I've got a Major with SSP Red Speed burrs...but haven't used it since I got my Monolith Flat last Spring. The single dose conversion was pretty easy, but you have more work getting grounds out versus a true single dose grinder.
LMWDP #748

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by PIXIllate replying to emradguy »

Any general comments on how the Monolith compared to the old grinder in terms of in-the-cup taste difference?

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by emradguy »

Sadly no. My plan was to do side by side comparisons between the Major and the Flat, but I never got around to it. I guess workflow won over. The Monolith bring such a great user experience, besides the fact that it looks better, is much quieter and has a much smaller footprint. Of course, there's still time, but not much, as I've already got my preorder in for Shuriken LM burrs for the Flat.
LMWDP #748