Single Dose vs On Demand Espresso Grinders - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Graymatters

#11: Post by Graymatters »

I'll echo most of what's already been said - after living with on-demand for more than a decade, moving to single dose has been great for a number of reasons.

My wife prefers darker, more traditional espresso roasts, while I like to try out different stuff (currently in love with a very strawberry-forward offering from a local roaster). Less waste when adjusting grind size, whether that's for different beans, adjusting shot flow, or for different brew methods. The workflow, usually weighing out doses an evening or two ahead of time, just works better for me, as opposed to weighing post-grind. Less waste overall.
LMWDP #726

Dapuma (original poster)

#12: Post by Dapuma (original poster) »

It seems like a lot of single dose people like to switch up coffee's alot. I do like the idea of having a set regular grinder and then a single doser for switching - however that is overkill at the moment. I ended up deciding to go with the atom 75 for now, and perhaps grow into single dosing in the future. I do appreciate everyone's insight into why it works for them.

I did try a fruit forward coffee that tasted like tea from a local brewer for drip coffee. I swear it was not coffee, yet coffee. I can only imagine that would have made a crazy espresso with those flavors concentrated even more. I can see why people get into that.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by JB90068 replying to Dapuma »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are after market mods that you can add to your Atom 75 to effectively turn it into an SD. This might be something to consider when and if you want to go that route in the future. Certainly a lot easier to try versus going all in on a new grinder(s) and please don't ask how or why I know this. :D
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

Plinyyounger
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Plinyyounger »

Dapuma wrote:It seems like a lot of single dose people like to switch up coffee's alot. I do like the idea of having a set regular grinder and then a single doser for switching - however that is overkill at the moment. I ended up deciding to go with the atom 75 for now, and perhaps grow into single dosing in the future. I do appreciate everyone's insight into why it works for them.

I did try a fruit forward coffee that tasted like tea from a local brewer for drip coffee. I swear it was not coffee, yet coffee. I can only imagine that would have made a crazy espresso with those flavors concentrated even more. I can see why people get into that.
Great choice, I use the Atom 65 Specialty as my hopper grinder. The 75 will be faster and both creat a great cup of coffee. You won't be disappointed.

Ken
Family, coffee and fun.