Single dose grinder options

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BruceB

#1: Post by BruceB »

It's been a while since I posted anything here!

So my Baratza Sette W has just given up the ghost, and frankly, I'm fed up with the eternal cycle of either sending it to be fixed or fixing it myself (I was an early adopter on that one and knew what I was getting into). Also, I've moved back from Canada to the UK so there's another reason to replace/upgrade as it means I no longer have to have the power block to run it.

Anyway, its main use was for espresso and I really enjoyed it when it worked. However I also occasionally drink french press as well and liked that it was relatively easy to switch between grind settings. However the market has moved on, and whilst I'd consider getting a new one, the market has since moved on and I'm wondering what else is out there.

Budget wise I'm looking around the £500ish mark and I'd like something with a similar footprint to the Sette. I'm quite taken with the Niche Zero, but from what I've seen availability is in the name. Looking through a few pages here I see the Eureka's coming up as well but what else is worth looking at in your opinion?

Edit: I will happily sacrifice the ability to make french press if necessary in preference for espresso performance.
It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science.
Grimes - Black Hawk Down

LObin

#2: Post by LObin »

This:
G-IOTA espresso grinder

BellaBarista is the UK distributor. It's called the Solo grinder.

I have a hard time finding anything I dislike about it. My Niche Zero has seen a lot less action ever since I received my G-iota.
LMWDP #592

MichaelC

#3: Post by MichaelC »

Out of curiousity, how have you found the consistency and quality of the G-IOTA vs the Niche?

LObin

#4: Post by LObin replying to MichaelC »

I'm copying something I posted in the Europiccola FB group regarding the same topic:

"I've had my NZ for 2 years now. No complaints whatsoever. I did wonder what flat burrs and even what a grinder with burrs that are more "modern roast" oriented would bring vs my NZ. The Lagom P64 is out of budget for me so the G-iota was the answer.

Again, I might add SSP HU or multipurpose later down the road but with the stock Italmill Tin burrs aligned, I'm already super happy with the results. Didn't even put 1kg of coffee through the burrs yet. Things will only get better.

As far as workflow, the G-iota is not as easy as the Niche Zero but I don't think any other single doser is, really.

Next to no retention with the blower (that's an extra step) and I have a wide range of adjustment for espresso thus far (as low as 8-10 for a few light roasts and up to 25 for medium-dark stuff). Grind consistency is very good too.

It's a little messier than the NZ and has more static. I do RDT although it's not an obligation. I does help however.

Compared to the Niche Zero, on my Londinium, the G-iota burrs definitely produce a sweeter cup. More balance and more fruit forward. Even my wife noticed it after the 1st cup.
With the NZ, when making an oat milk latte for her, I would either pull a ristretto or remove the cup a bit early to have a lower ratio of coffee to milk.
So far, with the G-iota, she's enjoyed every cup. Whether the grind is tighter or looser, she prefers the sweetness of the flat burrs.

That being said, I've always preferred the shots from my Niche Zero when pulled from my Europiccola vs my Londinium. I guess the lower extraction pressure and softer curve helps sweetening the stronger notes produced by the 63mm mazzer conical burrs of the Niche Zero.

I have yet to try the G-iota with my Europiccola but I love the shots I'm getting at the moment coupled with the NZ.
"
Hope this helps!

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

LObin

#5: Post by LObin »

I have found the consistency to be on par with the Niche Zero. Even though the Italmill burrs aren't fully seasoned yet.

It's expected since retention and grind exchange is about the same as the Niche Zero. The adjustment mechanism is as simple and effective as the NZ and the increments between marks are small enough that you can easily make small changes when dialing-in or changing ratios.

To be honest, I've mostly experienced consistency issues when using a commercial grinder in a home environment. The larger retention, purge routines, timer adjustments, grind exchange and difficulties to change grind settings or between brew methods bring inconsistencies that I found quite frustrating.
LMWDP #592

do.u.even.bripe.bro

#6: Post by do.u.even.bripe.bro »

I'm really curious to know how this grinder performs at the pour over/chemex spectrum. Has anyone tried pour over with this yet? If so, what range were you in 50?, how consistent were the grinds, and how was the cup?

LObin

#7: Post by LObin replying to do.u.even.bripe.bro »

Deleted my post here and moved it to the G-iota topic.
Here:
G-IOTA espresso grinder
LMWDP #592

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by TenLayers »

Have you seen this thread on all single dose grinder options?
Single Dosing Grinder Updatable List

BruceB (original poster)

#9: Post by BruceB (original poster) replying to TenLayers »

No, I hadn't found that one yet, thanks for the link.

Also many thanks for the other recommendations. G-IOTA sounds interesting for sure.
It's all in the grind, Sizemore. Can't be too fine, can't be too coarse. This, my friend, is a science.
Grimes - Black Hawk Down

BruceB (original poster)

#10: Post by BruceB (original poster) »

LObin wrote:Deleted my post here and moved it to the G-iota topic.
Here:
G-IOTA espresso grinder
Decided to take your advice and went with the G-Iota (Solo in the UK). Only pulled a few shots so far, but 0 regrets. Seems like a huge jump from my old Sette W. Thanks for the recommendation.
Grimes - Black Hawk Down