Single Dose "Endgame" Grinder Suggestions?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
NYFilter93

#1: Post by NYFilter93 »

I'm looking to upgrade from my Baratza Forte to a single dose grinder that can, ideally, brew espresso and pourovers. Currently I'm looking at:

Lagom p64, Bentwood Vertical, Weber EG1.

Could anyone with experience with these grinders provide feedback on them? I'm mostly concerned with taste, extraction, consistency and alignment.

drH

#2: Post by drH »

In case you need other options:
The Kafatek grinders.
Acaia Orbit.
Versalab

Corgo

#3: Post by Corgo »

If you're looking at Lagom, it should be the p100.

cremachris

#4: Post by cremachris »

I own a Bentwood Vertical 63. I use it for single dosing 9-18 grams of espresso and pour overs.
Grinding consistency is great. With RDT fluffiness is exceptional - I do not have to use any tool at all.
The BV63 extracts great notes from my (self-roasted) coffees. Great sweetness, good clarity, great texture. Punches well above similar 64mm grinders, possibly due to the pre-breaking and the screwless burr surface. Does not reach the 98mm (EK43, Titus Grinding, etc.) clarity, but is much more forgiving than those grinders.
Alignment is perfect in my case (maybe also due to the burr carrier being carved from aluminium and weighing 500g).
It is a joy to use, the micron-alignment through the large wheel is super consistent and repeatable. This allows it to be used for both espresso and pour over without problems.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by baristainzmking »

I would also look at Kafatek monolith Max.
Julia

spiffdude

#6: Post by spiffdude »

Was looking for the same kind of thing.

Placed a pre-order for a Kafatek Monolith Flat. They still had a few Flat MAX available up until late last week. You might want to inquire if they can fit you in should it be of interest to you.

I also looked at the EG-1, but the complexity of this design and its price steered me away in the end. Oh, and for what it's worth, it seems like customer service is not alway on point. No direct experience, but you can search these forums.
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

NYFilter93 (original poster)

#7: Post by NYFilter93 (original poster) »

I'll look into the kafatek and versa lab. I'd rather wait until more reviews and feedback comes out for the Acaia Orbit since it's a newer product.

sluflyer06

#8: Post by sluflyer06 »

spiffdude wrote:Was looking for the same kind of thing.

Placed a pre-order for a Kafatek Monolith Flat. They still had a few Flat MAX available up until late last week. You might want to inquire if they can fit you in should it be of interest to you.

I also looked at the EG-1, but the complexity of this design and its price steered me away in the end. Oh, and for what it's worth, it seems like customer service is not alway on point. No direct experience, but you can search these forums.
It's relevant for people doing their research to also be aware that on top of the pricetag for the Weber are $300+ in import taxes and shipping to the USA, even more to other places.

I think the EG-1 looks so cool, but not for that much more than the Flat MAX

bostonbuzz

#9: Post by bostonbuzz »

Ditting KFA1203. Head and shoulders above the rest...literally. :wink:

I would think the little cousins the 804, Lab Sweet would be similarly easy to switch between methods and be low retention.
LMWDP #353

GorchT

#10: Post by GorchT »

How about not just namedropping. Maybe you could tell whixh style of coffee and toast you prefer. Otherwise some will produce horrible coffee. Dark roasts with 98 mm HU and similar burrs taste like old Zigarettes. So it doesn't make sense to recommend it.