A second grinder to the EG1

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Altair

#1: Post by Altair »

I have an EG1 on the way that should be arriving in a couple of days, and currently making due with a Eurika Mignon and a Fellow Ode 2. The Ode lost alignment and after trying to fix it at home the dial mechanism is now stuck, contacted Fellow and they recommended I send it in, seems the lubrication might have dried out after a year and a half of extensive use and a thorough cleaning. Or I broke it while tinkering and couldn't figure it out. Going with the former for ego purposes.

In the meantime, I decided I will need a second higher quality grinder either way, the EG1 does great with medium and dark roasts I hear, so something that can pull great shots from a light roast plus do double duty as a capable brew grinder. Seamless switching between grind settings plus doing well as a light roast grinder are the main two considerations.

A quick search on the net and I have a couple of options, back again with the Omnia and now the Brentwood. Both do well with light roasts, and it seems the Brentwood makes for a more well rounded experience with less acidity while the Omnia has better flavor separation. Considering my tastes the Brentwood gets the nod, not to mention it's easier to adapt for home use.

Are there other grinders I should consider before pulling the trigger?

erik82

#2: Post by erik82 »

Well why not do it the other way around. I was in the same boat a couple of months ago. I've got my EG1 for 4 years now. The Ultra burrs are superb for clean light roasted coffee so use the EG1 for pourover and light roasts and buy something else for darker. I chose for a Lagom P64. You can also put the original Ditting Cast LS burrs in if you like a bit more bodied extractions with light roast. A Lagom P64 will do just a great job at medium to darker roasts as the EG-1 will do as you don't need those big burrs for that roast level.

In my eyes the EG-1 is better in ligther roasts then darker unless you put the base burrs in it but then you bought a way to expensive grinder for what you're using it. If you want to use it for darker roasts and have something for lighter then you can look at the Lagom 01 but that's much more expensive. The Brentwoord is 65mm and will perform much less for lighter roasts then the Ultra burrs and the Ultra burrs do just as good as a job as the EK Omnia. And the Omnia will have a far less user friendly worklfow.

Altair (original poster)

#3: Post by Altair (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply and I depth explanation. Did not think of that. I have the EG1 enroute with standard burrs, and I mostely drink medium(70%), some dark(10%), and some light (20%) though the more time passes the more I experiment with light roasts, though I really try and control the acidity through bean selection, dual in, and now grinder choice. As much as I would like to have more flavor separation I am not willing to put up with noticibley high acidity for it, I am naturally intolerant of it in all drinks and food items.

With that in mind, the reason I mentioned the Bentwood is I heard it does a very good job at leveling out acidity at the cost of less flavor separation compared to something like the P01. I do not mind getting another grinder for medium/dark and the right light roast burrs for the EG1 as long as I get the right target result.

With that in mind, what would you say is the ultimate, cost no issue, 2-grinder setup be and with which burrs?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

The Kafatek MC6 would be my choice for the medium-dark roast coffees. Supposedly it also does well with light roasts but I haven't tried any yet.
LMWDP 267

InfamousTuba

#5: Post by InfamousTuba »

In a previous post you said you had a mahlkonig peak, if that tasted great for medium - dark roasts I would maybe look at something like the mahlkonig E80 GbW but with the peak burrs installed. That should get you the same taste but with an easier workflow and then having the EG1 with ultra burrs for light roasts.

If you don't want the hopper workflow and want to single dose both grinders then you could go for the MC6 as someone else suggested for medium dark and use the EG1 for light roasts.

If money is no object and you really like the EG1 workflow you could always get 2, one with base burrs for medium dark and one with ultra burrs for light roasts. It would look cool to have one in silver and one in onyx with different burrs next to a strada x

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

Altair wrote:With that in mind, what would you say is the ultimate, cost no issue, 2-grinder setup be and with which burrs?
That's a pretty hard question. For light roast 80/98mm is perfect but it depends on personal preference which one you like more. For darker roasts a P64 of Kafatek conical should be great. In this class it comes down more to personal preference. In my eyes the perfect setup would be 3 grinders. One for maximum flavour seperation and clean shots like the Ultra in the EG1, one for more bodied light roasts like the Mizen 98/102 burrs and one grinder for medium to darker roasts like a P64 or Kafatek Conical :roll: .

And yes the CORE burrs on the EG-1 do a great job at medium and darker. I just think that with that price you should be able to reach the same result spending a lot less for 2 grinders. Price no issue you can look at the Kafatek or else a P64 won't do a much lesser job.

danetrainer

#7: Post by danetrainer »

I will agree with Erik and John, being you have the EG1 put a set of ultra burrs in it and use it for brew and occasional light roast espresso.
Kafatek MC6 for any range otherwise for espresso.
With that in mind, what would you say is the ultimate, cost no issue, 2-grinder setup be and with which burrs?
If you are purely light, filter roast espresso the MAX with SLM burrs would be best and paired with an MC6 for all else espresso.
But this combination would need the
Shuriken CR burrs in the MAX to do the best pour over, so it's not really doable to swap burrs back and forth.

Altair (original poster)

#8: Post by Altair (original poster) »

Thank you for the replies and suggestions.

I do have a Peak, and it did a great job for my first shot of the day. I usualy have three espressos per day, the first being literally 2 minutes after I wake up, target here is Not a complex shot, something medium-dark, bold and chocolatey with a non acidic profile. I do look for blends that have a pleasent secondary note ( caramel, a berry etc) but not complex while my brain is still not fully activated. A light roast would be too jarring first thing in the AM. This is almost always a blend.

The second, post morning workout and shower, is a medium to medium dark, a more complex bean, usualy single origin.

The third, a late afternoon shot, used to be medium but lately has become more and more light roasts. Single origin. I try to avoid overly acidic stuff.

The reason I mention that, the Peak worked great for the first shot, REALLY great! It gave me the homogenous morning hey you get up experience I wanted with a creamy chocolate silky texture. Wonderfull result. Workflow however was a pain and a half, single dosing did not work, it needs the weigh of a good amount of beans to push through, plus adjustments where not easy to do and track.

As stated in an earlier post, I would love to have two grinders, one that would do my two morning shots and one for the light roast afternoon shot.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

The MC6 would do it all. Grind the medium roasts at 120 rpm & drop the speed a bit (100 or less) for the afternoon light roast. I have 2 flat burr grinders; a K30 & a Super Caimano with 75mm Ti coated burrs. Both can produce excellent shots and both sat idle for 6 months when I had my MC5. Since my MC6 arrived they are once again gathering dust.
LMWDP 267

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Pressino »

I agree with the MC6 or another large conical burr grinder, since the OP already has flat burr grinders well covered.