Searching for the definitive comparison - Synesso MVP vs Speedster - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Dr G (original poster)

#11: Post by Dr G (original poster) »

Yes I have asked for advice.

drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

What do you like about each contender?

What are you wanting to achieve that you can't do with a Cremina?

Are you seeking an end-game machine, at least for the next 5 years?

If budget were no object, are there other machines you would consider?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

lessthanjoey

#13: Post by lessthanjoey »

erik82 wrote:Oh and you do need a far better grinder then a Mini if your buying one of these.
Not to derail too much, but have you had coffee from a mini? It's an insane value sleeper.

erik82

#14: Post by erik82 replying to lessthanjoey »

I've had ok coffee from a Mini (I owned one for 1.5 years) but had much better coffee from better grinders. It's a pretty decent grinder but far from great, especially the original 58mm burr doser Mini. And that version clogs, is slow, inconsistent and so on. The 64mm electronic version is a bit better but that design is oldschool with loads of retention.

So in short, there's a lot to be gained in coffee quality in terms of grinders when taking the Mini as a reference point.

atonik

#15: Post by atonik »

I believe you are referencing mazzer mini while lessthanjoey is referencing lagom mini?

erik82

#16: Post by erik82 »

Originally in TS's equipment list there stood Mazzer Mini.

Dr G (original poster)

#17: Post by Dr G (original poster) »

The cremina is excellent. We are renovating and ive Been given permission to upgrade!

I would love to get an end game machine that can last 5years+

Dr G (original poster)

#18: Post by Dr G (original poster) »

Yes I would consider others but I've ruled out a slayer and am unsure about the Leva X... I'll be keeping the cremina as a side hustle machine :lol:

danetrainer

#19: Post by danetrainer »

I personally know two people who have owned all 3 (and one still does) without question for them the best coffee is Leva X.
I know a couple other people who have owned either the MVP or the Speedster and now have Leva X and say the same.
It seems to be an incredibly forgiving machine across the roast levels of coffees in the hands of a competent barista.
In what you want to look at on your counter every day and use, that is up to your subjective opinion, all 3 of course make great coffee, it's then down to the grinder, the beans, and the barista.

lessthanjoey

#20: Post by lessthanjoey »

erik82 wrote:I've had ok coffee from a Mini (I owned one for 1.5 years) but had much better coffee from better grinders. It's a pretty decent grinder but far from great, especially the original 58mm burr doser Mini. And that version clogs, is slow, inconsistent and so on. The 64mm electronic version is a bit better but that design is oldschool with loads of retention.

So in short, there's a lot to be gained in coffee quality in terms of grinders when taking the Mini as a reference point.
Oh my bad! The danger of ambiguous names. Yes, I meant Lagom mini. I was on my phone, didn't see equipment listed, and forgot there were multiple. We agree completely on the mazzer mini!