Scratch and Dent Decent V2 Tamper

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
GregoryJ

#1: Post by GregoryJ »

Has anyone bought one of the scratched self-leveling V2 tampers from Decent Espresso? The description says: "Defect: visible scratches on the tamping base."

If you have one, can you post a picture? Just wondering what they look like before I order one to try and save a buck. Thanks!

johnny4lsu

#2: Post by johnny4lsu »

I see it now. Probably cosmetic.

Advertisement
liquidmetal

#3: Post by liquidmetal »

I didn't get a scratch and dent one, but I just wanted to say I got a v2 and its AWESOME!

Iowa_Boy

#4: Post by Iowa_Boy »

I agree, the v2 is awesome. I have purchased some of the discounted milk pitchers from Decent, and couldn't even tell what the issue was.
My advice is just to buy it. Great product, great price, and I feel confident John wouldn't sell anything with more than small cosmetic issue.
Doubt they will last long.

GregoryJ (original poster)

#5: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

Ok ok you pushed me over the ledge! I'll report back with a picture when it arrives :)

Iowa_Boy

#6: Post by Iowa_Boy replying to GregoryJ »

Congrats! You won't be disappointed.

rimblas

#7: Post by rimblas »

GregoryJ wrote:Ok ok you pushed me over the ledge! I'll report back with a picture when it arrives :)
Good decision!

I have the v2 and it's fabulous. Level tamps every time.

I have bought lots of scratch and defective items from Decent: pitchers, knockbox, tamper craddle, heck even my DE1PRO was flag as having some flaw. They all perform perfectly. For some, I could tell what the issue was, but it wasn't a big deal, for others, I couldn't find it.

Advertisement
lancealot

#8: Post by lancealot »

I bought a blem portafilter stand and funnel about a year ago. Looking them over after they arrived, i could not tell what the problem was.

BaristaBob

#9: Post by BaristaBob »

I'll add a few comments here. I love everything DE. Almost always buy from the "sale" area when possible...and I can't add anything to what hasn't already been said...sometimes I can't even find the defect, and 30 to 50% off...great deal.

I purchased the v2 about two months ago, after owning the v1 with the grooved 58.5mm base for over a year. I personally prefer the v1 only because I use the 58.5mm base. I also use VST baskets, so this combo offers a really tight fit. What I have noticed when using the v2 is that the first appearance of coffee looking up at my bottomless pf occurs as a ring around the edges and then moves toward the middle of the basket. Not bad, but with my v1 my first drips form uniformly across the basket. Sure using v1 requires more care when removing the tamper (suction), but I think the rewarded is a better pour. YMMV.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

GregoryJ (original poster)

#10: Post by GregoryJ (original poster) »

I received the tamper today and it looks great! There are some very tiny nicks on it, but I think 30% off is more than fair. I really had to get the light to catch in the right way for them to even show up in the pictures.