Scale recommendations?

Recommendations for espresso equipment buyers and upgraders.
Kujako

Postby Kujako » Mar 19, 2017, 2:01 pm

Looking for a decent dosing scale. Ideally, one with a manual on/off switch so it wont time out and turn off when I dont want it to.

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Mar 19, 2017, 3:35 pm

The nicest scale I've used is the Acaia Lunar. It is small enough, well made, fast, and accurate. The auto off setting can be changed.

Rocky

Kujako

Postby Kujako » Mar 19, 2017, 4:40 pm

RockyIII wrote:The nicest scale I've used is the Acaia Lunar. It is small enough, well made, fast, and accurate. The auto off setting can be changed.

Rocky

A bit pricy however. I'd like to spend less than 50USD if I can...

Ellejaycafe

Postby Ellejaycafe » Mar 19, 2017, 5:01 pm

While not less than $50 bucks the brewista scales are almost perfect at their price point (IMHO). I had the opportunity to check out V2 of this scale at coffee fest this weekend. It seems like a real upgrade from the previous version and would be good for weighing in and out. I ordered one minutes after seeing it first hand. V1 is $60 and V2 is $90. As stated above, the lunar is also the best scale I've used for weighing my dose; accurate, fast, beautiful, and the charge last forever. Don't see myself ever buying another scale for weighing dose.
LMWDP #544

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » Mar 19, 2017, 5:34 pm

First, in case you are tempted to buy something cheaper than an Acacia or even a Brewista, and IMHO there is a very good "bang for the buck" reason to do so, remember that not all scales depict to the tenths of a gram. Make sure whatever you get, does that.

Now to the "bang for the buck" consideration. I've tried several low budget scales over the past 10 years, way back before the benefits of weighing were as widely accepted as they are now. Back then, I hadn't even heard of Acacia or Brewista. I also knew that jeweler or "drug dealer" levels of precision are not required for dialing in and repeating excellent espresso. As with the watch hobby, "maker-minded" people have come to know that there are certain standout, "cheap Chinese" products that perform way above their price. In watches, Invicta brand gets and deserves little respect. They rarely are any better than their $100'ish price tag dictates. Rarely, but not never. There is one, that has the movement of a much more expensive Seiko, and it's still only $125. This is the kind of thing maker-geeks figure out. The cheap scale I've come to like is this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-pocket-scale-93543.html

I've got one in each home.

It used to be $20 regular price and $13.99 on frequent sale. It only weighs out to 500g (half a kilo) where most of the really cheap scales weigh out to a whole kilo, suggesting more granularity in the stroke of its load cell. It's way more stable and of higher quality than some of the other cheap scales out there, even ones with fancy metal platters and blue backlit displays.

The drawback of this type of scale is that its platter is not big enough to put a whole portafilter on. No matter to me as I have a super low/zero retention grinder and weigh into a yogurt cup before grinding. And it's perfect size to put your demitasse on it, under the group for weighing your extraction.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I understand why you would want something more blingy. I'll probably get an Acacia just for the fun of it, if I don't find some other fun frivolous coffee thing to buy this summer. But I don't have any illusions that it will improve my espresso in any measurable (pun intended) way.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Kujako

Postby Kujako » Mar 19, 2017, 5:35 pm

Ellejaycafe wrote:While not less than $50 bucks the brewista scales are almost perfect at their price point (IMHO). I had the opportunity to check out V2 of this scale at coffee fest this weekend. It seems like a real upgrade from the previous version and would be good for weighing in and out. I ordered one minutes after seeing it first hand. V1 is $60 and V2 is $90. As stated above, the lunar is also the best scale I've used for weighing my dose; accurate, fast, beautiful, and the charge last forever. Don't see myself ever buying another scale for weighing dose.

Saw that one, but right now I'm leaning towards the Hario due to it being on sale...

Ellejaycafe

Postby Ellejaycafe » Mar 19, 2017, 5:53 pm

Kujako wrote:Saw that one, but right now I'm leaning towards the Hario due to it being on sale...

Sent you a PM.
LMWDP #544

Bret

Postby Bret » Mar 19, 2017, 5:55 pm

I've been using this one for a couple years, works well for my needs:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-S ... 001RF3XJ2/

Price is very reasonable. I also use it on the drip tray to measure the pull. It fits nicely on the tray, and is not thick so it doesn't interfere with getting my various size Not Neutral cups under the portafilter.

I can measure the dose in the portafilter by carefully placing it diagonally on the scale. I did that for a bit, but have long since moved to single dosing. So I still use this for weighing the dose, basically, but I am weighing out the beans ahead of time.

The Hario looks to be too large to fit on my drip tray. The Brewista looks terrific, but I'd have to measure a bit, since it looks pretty thick and might prevent me from using it to measure the pull with certain cups.

Kujako

Postby Kujako » Mar 19, 2017, 8:52 pm

Dang. Found my old chemistry lab scale, but it looks like the battery compartment got corroded to hell.

ira

Postby ira » Mar 19, 2017, 11:57 pm

Kujako wrote:Dang. Found my old chemistry lab scale, but it looks like the battery compartment got corroded to hell.

You must be a young one, my old chem lab scale doesn't have batteries.
Ira

Sponsored by klatchroasting.com
www.klatchroasting.com: USBC champion, voted 2009 'best micro-roaster'