Scale For Pour-Over?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
lamoustache

#1: Post by lamoustache »

Hello all!

Upgrading my Chemex pour-over setup: both grinder and scale (might add a v60 for variety's sake but not the core of my upgrade).

For the grinder: landed on Ode Gen 2 w/ stock burrs - seems to be a crowd pleaser, forgiving, and a definite upgrade from my OXO conical that I've had for 4 years. SSP may come later.

For the scale: was set on the Acaia Pearl S - the flowmeter + app functionality seems like a GREAT value proposition. Then discovered the Fellow Tally - pros seem to be greater responsiveness and better display. I can do math so the pour-over counter mode is more of a nice-to-have.

I'm still leaning Acaia Pearl S and would appreciate a head nod from folks on this forum re: my decision.

Opinions on grinders also welcome
(Timemore Sculptor requires 6-8 week wait and a bunch of seasoning. DF64 apparently produces too many fines?)

BaristaMcBob

#2: Post by BaristaMcBob »

High precision timer/scales with fast response time and flow rate measurement are only really needed for espresso brewing. Flow rate is less important for Chemex brewing. For pour over, the important parameter is coffee to water ratio. I would certainly spend $200 on a scale for my espresso machine, but for pour-over, a $30 scale would suffice. This one from VisionTechShop was awesome. It tracked coffee weight, water weight, time, and coffee/water ratio and is absolutely perfect for pour-over.

https://a.co/d/46aKItX

I do enjoy cool tools, but in this case a $200 scale won't improve your coffee experience, but a good water kettle and grinder will.

lancealot

#3: Post by lancealot »

The heart wants what the heart wants and yours wants a nice scale, so get yourself one. Pish-posh McBob, a fast response time is a nice feature for any scale. I use Acaia scales and Timemore scales at home and work. When I travel I have a 15$ amazon scale, it is slow and laggy and I hate it. A fast scale makes my experience better every time I use it. We all make our choices and we can only choose for ourselves.

The only feature that I find useful for pour over beyond aesthetics and speed is a mode that displays timer and weight and the timer auto starts when I start pouring. This way I can track time and pours to follow common recipes. I have an acacia pearl at home and a timemore basic at work (basic or basic plus I can't remember). The timemore is fine, especially for the price, but the button response is a little weird. When you hit a button, the scale registers the weight of the finger press on the display. There's also a little delay in registering the button press. Since it is capacitive touch, sometimes you wonder if the press registered and a second later, it does. If it breaks I'll think about replacing it with an Acaia, but I might not.

BaristaMcBob

#4: Post by BaristaMcBob »

Well, yes, people want what they want. All I'm saying is that you can get fast response scales with auto start mode and water ratio tracking for a lot less money than an Acaia.

I have this one. It auto detects the coffee weight and tracks the water volume. In another mode, it auto starts the timer when you add water. The response time on these is also very fast. No perceived lag at all.

https://www.normcorewares.com/products/ ... ffee-scale

But if you really want to see a chart on your phone while trying to pour hot water in to a Chemex, then Acaia is the way to go for sure. Those are beautiful and well made tools for coffee brewing enthusiasts.

Jonk

#5: Post by Jonk »

BaristaMcBob wrote:flow rate measurement are only really needed for espresso brewing.
I disagree. The rate of pour is important. See https://coffeeadastra.com/2020/05/23/th ... e-streams/ for more info.

I don't think Acaia's apps are worth paying a premium for on the other hand. I have a Pearl S and it's a real hassle to connect it. I think they need more competition in that space. Timemore now sell a model with flow rate display at a fraction of the price (no connectivity). They're good enough. Skip the white version though :lol:

Bean_Thinking

#6: Post by Bean_Thinking »

If you don't want to overthink it too much (no app), I have this one and mostly like it:

https://www.amazon.com/Escali-Versi-Cof ... 5432&psc=1

It's well-sized for a standard Chemex. I use it as my espresso scale too, actually. Seems pretty responsive. Well-sealed if you spill all over it. Made by an actual company is a plus. Has automatic timer modes that I mostly don't use. Capacitive buttons are the devil but these aren't as bad as some (they sit in a little pit and have labels. Don't get me started on this thing: https://www.amazon.com/SearchPean-Espre ... YXRm&psc=1)

BaristaMcBob

#7: Post by BaristaMcBob »

That link from Jonk refers to the pour rate from the kettle and how it relates to the shape of the water stream. That's different from the "flow rate" commonly measured when brewing espresso, which is the purpose of a fancy scale such as the Acaia In any case, a scale won't tell you how smoothly the water flows across the slurry of grinds, which was the topic in that article you mentioned.

Any good pour over scale will display the amount of water added while timing the brew process.

moreshots

#8: Post by moreshots »

I had the same question a month ago and ended up with the Acaia Lunar

I tend to try and buy higher quality once vs multiple items at a cheaper cost

Simply I love the thing and it works great

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by bznelson91 »

I have an Acaia Pearl S, and I don't like it. As others have mentioned, the apps are terrible. The controls are very fussy, the buttons don't respond well to touch. But my main complaint is that the readout is very jittery, you should see some my Visualizer graphs from my DE1PRO. I have a Difluid Microbalance that is better, but honestly, unless you're really wanting connectivity, the new Timemore Black Mirror version 2 has flow rate, and my version 1 has been a joy to use. Rock stable, fast response, much better control feel.

Brad

Jonk

#10: Post by Jonk »

BaristaMcBob wrote:That's different from the "flow rate" commonly measured when brewing espresso, which is the purpose of a fancy scale such as the Acaia
This is not in line with their own marketing for Pearl S:

There's more to life than espresso..

FWIW, I prefer the Acaia Pearl S to Timemore Black Mirror, I just don't think it's worth paying 4-5x more for it.