SBDU, Flair 58, Decent, or ???

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
MossyEars

#1: Post by MossyEars »

Hi All,

I have a Niche Zero. What smaller machine do I pair it with that doesn't take gobs of electricity and water? I drink espresso mostly, occasional cap.

Past machines: Gaggia, Vivaldi S1 (the SBDU one from ~2003), ECM Elektronika II Profi.

We live on a boat and run mostly off an 120v inverter, so limited current - ie turning a bunch of other stuff off. So I can't just let something that goes 1500W on every time it needs to maintain temp to reach stability. Espresso area is 41cm/16in wide by 43cm/ deep with no practical height restriction. With the Niche that leaves 28 cm / 11in for the machine - with some room for the portafilter overlapping with the grinder during insertion since I can set the Niche back a little bit.

We need to either bolt all this down or stow it when we move, because of waves and stuff. So something that can pack up and doesn't weigh as much as the Elektronika or Vivaldi is probably a plus.

So I am thinking of a SBDU unit, maybe a Mara - though I do have the want for really precise brew temps finally, one of the manual ones with a kettle from the propane stove, or maybe just breaking down and grabbing the Decent. Budget isn't unlimited, but if the Decent is where I would end, I would rather go straight there than buying something, modding it, growing frustrated, and eventually just getting the decent.

John49

#2: Post by John49 »

Have a look at the Strietman CT2, it only uses 500 watts.

TigerStripes

#3: Post by TigerStripes »

I have 2 friends who live in rvs that own decents. They are the more efficient option for a full size machine since they use a heat exchanger instead of heating up a large tank of water.

Of course you could get a robot and be even more efficient.
LMWDP #715

MossyEars (original poster)

#4: Post by MossyEars (original poster) »

TigerStripes wrote:I have 2 friends who live in rvs that own decents. They are the more efficient option for a full size machine since they use a heat exchanger instead of heating up a large tank of water.

Of course you could get a robot and be even more efficient.

They do seem to be pretty good in that regard. We generally have plenty of power as compared to most RVs we have a HUGE battery bank (15kWh), plenty of solar, and an 8KW generator if that isn't enough. It's the 3000W inverter that mostly gets in the way. I'd have to turn off most E61 machines whenever we want to run the microwave or other larger appliances that end up part of our morning routines.

So I am fine with 1500W of power, as long as I don't need to idle it (with it cycling on and off 1500W/0W) for an hour to get everything up to temp, then waste a bunch of water on a cooling flush. Power is more renewable for us than propane, so potentially saving there does have a plus.
John49 wrote:Have a look at the Strietman CT2, it only uses 500 watts.

The CT2 does seem interesting - as I could run that parallel with the microwave and be fine. Thus far my brewing experiences relying on Jedi powers ("just feel the pressure") has been extremely frustrating - so the lack of gauges does concern me. At the price, I think I'd love the Decent more, but I haven't really spent time with one. The decent seems like it would stow better.

The CT2 does seem to be superior to the robot/etc... for high temps. Which is good as I do like lighter roasts. I really loved Caffe D'Arte Firenze - which is fairly light in the Seattle scene of early 2000s when I found it. Probably need to go grab a bag now that I am back in the area and see how it compares to all the "modern/3rd wave" stuff out now which I imagine is even lighter.