Running TWO separate Rancilio Silvias vs. 2 group espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
simplyred

#1: Post by simplyred »

Hi All,

I have a random question, which I could not find an answer to.

I've recently got the Silvia/Rocky combo - and with the right technique and coffee (WDT and surfing) - the coffee is excellent. Thank you all for the excellent advice - I enjoy my coffee because of your contributions...
During parties, I am finding myself to be a popular visit from friends (who offer themselves as my guinea pigs/practice) - but I am finding the rebound time for the Silvia as a drag for efficient "service".

I was wondering (as a sad excuse for cost-efficient upgraditis) if TWO separate Silvias would perform just as well as ONE two-group machine?
I do not want to plumb a line - so - I was musing - just run two Silvias (alternating heat up cycles) for up to 8 doubles and steam two milk pitchers in *almost* the same time as one Silvia.

Getting another Silvia is not expensive. Getting a 2-group machine is a lot of coin...

Am I crazy?

Thanks in advance...

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

You don't need a two group unless you have two baristas. There are plenty of one group commercial machines that you can't outrun (e.g., La Spaziale Vivaldi, La Marzocco Linea Mini).
Dan Kehn

chrisbodnarphoto

#3: Post by chrisbodnarphoto replying to HB »

+1!

Not to mention- as a 2gr Slayer owner - the machines are huuuuuuuge, require 220-240v, water + filtration + drain. To give you an idea, my Slayer is over 200lb's WITHOUT water in its 4 boilers ... And also retails for nearly $19,000 with the factory-installed upgrades.

I would go the LMLM route. :)

gr2020

#4: Post by gr2020 »

chrisbodnarphoto wrote:Not to mention- as a 2gr Slayer owner - the machines are huuuuuuuge, require 220-240v, water + filtration + drain. To give you an idea, my Slayer is over 200lb's WITHOUT water in its 4 boilers ...
Well gosh, that sounds terrible. Can we get some sympathy here for Chris? Anyone? ;)

(BTW, this is just me being jealous, in case my humor didn't come across!)

Headala

#5: Post by Headala »

I used the meCoffee PID in my Silvia and loved it...one of its features is the option for "active" PID. It connects to the brew switch and immediate starts the heater in preparation for a new shot even before the sensor registers the temp drop. I was able to do quite a few shots in succession.

Of course when it comes time to steam milk, you will miss a double boiler or HX machine.

simplyred (original poster)

#6: Post by simplyred (original poster) »

Thanks. I did not know some single groups were so fast.

However, the ones you mentioned could buy multiple Silvias. This is part of the question i am trying to ask - is the setup i proposed a cheaper (acceptable but not a higher quality) alternative?

Thanks again.

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

You can probably imagine the performance. Personally I think it would be overly complicated and ultimately much slower than a commercial one group. I've catered lots of cars and coffee events; I'd take any prosumer E61 double boiler over two Silvias.
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee

#8: Post by Compass Coffee replying to HB »

+1
Mike McGinness

CoffeeBar

#9: Post by CoffeeBar »

didn't one group HX machine is suffice?

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

Prosumer HX espresso machines don't perform as well under heavy loads, i.e., they usually need more recovery time than a similar E61 double boiler. Not to mention you go through a lot more water due to flushing. Then again, it depends if we're talking 4 consecutive drinks with a long pause or 6+ consecutive drinks with not much downtime. It won't matter if your production runs are only short bursts.
Dan Kehn