Rotating WDT tool - Page 11

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BaristaBob

#101: Post by BaristaBob »

Primacog wrote:I would like to see this feature as well to replicate manual wdt completely. It needs to be automatic as it is spun
Well, not so sure about auto spin, but yes, this type of tool needs an innovative way of adjusting the needles up and down to fit most baskets. Maybe a slider mechanism with a friction lock/unlock button. I hope Weber is reading this thread. :lol:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Capuchin Monk

#102: Post by Capuchin Monk »

BaristaBob wrote:Maybe a slider mechanism with a friction lock/unlock button.
That will add $250 to the price. :shock: Now we are inching towards $1K mark for a WDT gadget. I'll bet someone in the marketing department already thought of it.

Primacog (original poster)

#103: Post by Primacog (original poster) replying to Capuchin Monk »

I hope the auto comb that barista hustle is coming out with will have such a capability and cost less than the plastic version of the Moonraker.
LMWDP #729

Socalsteve

#104: Post by Socalsteve »

If it ever comes out. Seems like it's been a very long time since Barista Hustle Tools announced that they are tooling up for it. Wonder if it ever will.... :oops:

In the meantime, I purchased a Moonraker. Should be here this month.

ReignDrops

#105: Post by ReignDrops »

Received version 3.5 that fits the larger decent portafilter. A bit of a pain to install the needles. Decent XL, Mahlkonig e80 gbw, Vst 18g basket, 18g in 33g out. Consistent shot times, but puck density is less than ideal compared to standard wdt.

My wdt ranking:

1. Sworks wdt: low, med, hi technique with 1 tap of the portafilter on the counter
2. Decent puck rake: raking just the top with 1 tap of the portafilter on the counter
3. Coffeetools wdt: 10 full revolutions with 1 tap of the portafilter on the counter
4. Duomo the eight with 1 tap of the portafilter on the counter

I'm looking forward to the barista hustle autocomb

ReignDrops

#106: Post by ReignDrops »

V3.55 is now available and it's much better than the previous version. It is now my favorite WDT as it produces the most consistent pucks.

Capuchin Monk

#107: Post by Capuchin Monk »

ReignDrops wrote:V3.55 is now available
I posted a review :arrow: Etsy Rotating Distribution Tool

Primacog (original poster)

#108: Post by Primacog (original poster) »

Update as I hve been using the coffeetoolsCA etsy wdt toolfor the last few months along with manual wdt. I had said previously that in my experience manual wdt gives just as good a result even in the early morning and just as fast. Having used it longer, I have reached the conclusion that while I can do it faster with manual wdt, the result that the device can achieve at 20 revolutions looks better distributed in terms of how it presents visually in the basket. The etsy device is able to do 20 revolutions very quickly due to the crank that one can use ones index finger to spin quickly. Whether this helps with preventing channeling better than manual wdt is unknown as both seem to be returning good results when viewed with the naked portafilter during extraction. I intend to get the latest magnetised base version to try to out and the seller is able to also custom make the device according to the exact diameter of my nurri portafilter - which is currently unavailable for the moonraker or the autocomb.
LMWDP #729

rdcyclist
Supporter ♡

#109: Post by rdcyclist »

I just got my rotating WDT dropped off. 30 bucks delivered with the exactly specified needle length. Probably the best 30 bucks I've ever spent on this "hobby". Literally transformed my puck prep and made it remarkably consistent. I know, the lack of consistency with my current prep is down to me but this tool takes that part of the art out of making my morning coffee and gives me one less thing to dick with. I'll see if I can get some video of before and after pours. It's amazing to me how much better my espressos are with just the inclusion of the rotating WDT process.

Capuchin Monk

#110: Post by Capuchin Monk »

rdcyclist wrote:the rotating WDT process.
Not just rotating but spirograph rotation. I have 3 rotating WDTs and 2 are just circular motion which don't stir up the same way as my third one, spirograph motion. :idea: