Rocket's new grinder, the Macinatore Fausto?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Kettlebarista

#1: Post by Kettlebarista »

So after much deliberation and pinching of pennies I am the proud new owner of a rocket r58. It took me forever to find the right machine, now the grinder is posing the same, if not a greater issue. I have been stuck between a couple of choices and thought I was getting pretty close until this guy came out.

The https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/rocke ... to-grinder

Any initial thoughts? It seems like an upgraded option to the mini-e.

Gfcronus

#2: Post by Gfcronus »

245-watt motor for $1049? For $50 less, you could get the Eureka Zenith. 500-watt motor with same burr size. Plus it looks better.

Add a $3 stirring spoon to your order to push you above $1,000 and take advantage of SCG's $125 promotional discount thru the end of March.

You're welcome.

ShelbiRyan

#3: Post by ShelbiRyan »

I would agree....the 250 watt motor isn't very tempting, the grinder is also new and hasn't been proven yet. If you are a fan of light roasted beans...this grinder might be under powered.

Kettlebarista (original poster)

#4: Post by Kettlebarista (original poster) »

Oh whoops. That last link must have a typo. Every other website I've looked at says its 500w.
https://www.wholelattelove.com/products ... -in-chrome

#5: Post by Kettlebarista (original poster) »

Well now I'm just confused. In their specifications tab it says 245w but in the main description it says it's a 500w motor. I'll have to shoot them an email and get to the bottom of this.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by jwCrema »

The only reason I'd care about the motor is 245W is a bit marginal.

The price of this grinder is close to the 83MM flats - while this one is a few hundred less, but a grinder like this will last you years. If I knew what I know now, I would have just gone for Mazzer Major / Compak E8 class machine from the beginning.

#7: Post by Kettlebarista (original poster) »

Do you have any suggestions for a larger burr grinder with a shorter stature? I'm personally not a huge fan of the tall grinders in my kitchen.

Gfcronus

#8: Post by Gfcronus »

Ceado E37S is an 83mm flat that has a lot of fans on this site. With a short hopper, it should fit under standard cabinets. Price is around $1150.

Another good one that isn't tall is the Mahlkonig K30 (with short hopper), but it's a $550 jump in price over the Ceado.

The Eureka Zenith that I mentioned earlier has a height of 18" with a short hopper.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by jwCrema »

Kettlebarista wrote:Do you have any suggestions for a larger burr grinder with a shorter stature? I'm personally not a huge fan of the tall grinders in my kitchen.
I hear ya. Hell, I'd have my espresso gear in the center of the kitchen island but my wife has threatened to shotgun it all to smithereens if I tried that. So I've backed away from that idea. It's all now hunkered below out blessed cabinets.

For almost all grinders there is a short hopper option. I started using my Mazzer without any hopper at all and just dosed enough beans to fill the throat and put a 53mm tamper on top to stop bean chunk spew. I'm now using the Mazzer short hopper with mini-batches of beans.

There are plenty of mini-hopper ideas in the grinder forum that will work with any grinder. I'd go for the best 83mm flat under $2K.