Rocket R Nine One

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Tony163

#1: Post by Tony163 »

I was thinking of purchasing one of the above. I actually like the way it looks and more importantly I find that it has a great feature set. However. as I research the machine, almost everything I read is negative: bad design, too heavy for what it is, unreliable, poor customer support. Wondering if anyone has any recent (within last year) experiences with this machine one way or the other. Many thx. Tony

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B!

I poked at Search (upper menu) a bit in my phone and found a few threads, some in the last year or two. I'll let you pick through them rather than give you a biased selection.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

I think the R Nine One suffered because it was (is?) uncompetitive with the La Marzocco GS/3 on price, uncompetitive with the decent on features, and (IMO) uncompetitive with the Dalla Corte Mina on aesthetics.

People spending GS/3 money would want the name and reputation of La Marzocco, people wanting to explore espresso would want the fuller feature set of the decent, and people not wanting a chrome box would get the Mina (or GS/3).

Seattle Coffee Gear says the R Nine One is exclusive to them now, so perhaps their price will make the R Nine One more attractive?
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Tony163 (original poster)

#4: Post by Tony163 (original poster) »

Thanks for the input. At 6500 is the R 91 less expensive than previously? I agree on paper the decent is hard to beat. However, it's just not for me for a few reasons - I personally I don't care for its appearance, overload of data, hate the sound of the pump, can't steam while pulling a shot (I believe), no water feed.

I may wait. In a few years there is apt to be many more less expensive options that include good flow profiling capabilities.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

Tony163 wrote:Thanks for the input. At 6500 is the R 91 less expensive than previously?
I was thinking that the GS/3 has gone up in price; I don't know if Rocket will follow.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Capuchin Monk

#6: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Tony163 wrote:Thanks for the input. At 6500 is the R 91 less expensive than previously? I agree on paper the decent is hard to beat. However, it's just not for me for a few reasons - I personally I don't care for its appearance, overload of data, hate the sound of the pump, can't steam while pulling a shot (I believe), no water feed.

I may wait. In a few years there is apt to be many more less expensive options that include good flow profiling capabilities.
You may want to take a look at the following 2 threads.
Sanremo You - Single Group Espresso Machine
New Faema Faemina

#7: Post by Tony163 (original poster) »

Thanks - it's very interesting to see these new machines, and very helpful. Personally I don't care for the famaena at all. The You on the other hand looks great though I spoke to Voltage today and they said "They don't expect availability in the US until sometime in 2023."

Dapuma

#8: Post by Dapuma »

I picked the r91 over the GS3

More features and a better price. It has the paddle / AV controls...where you have to pick with the GS3

It was also less expensive...looks better. The chrome is even more impressive in person. If I would have got the GS3 I would have gotten the wooden paddle upgrades, which makes it WAY more expensive...and frankly has a lot less features.

This forum is very much against the R91...not sure why...they just dont like it. There is an aussie forum that loves the r91...you can find some good info over there.

I posted my thoughts under buying advice after getting it.

Don't get the puq press if you are getting the R91. Rocket portafilter's and puq press dont work together.

Just to be clear, price wasnt the reason I didnt take the GS3, feature set and looks were. If all things are tied for you or close like it was for me...then price being a few grand cheaper doesnt hurt. I think it was roughly 7800 vs 6500 (gs av) + wood panels were another $1k + time to get was longer.

#9: Post by Tony163 (original poster) »

Thx for the thoughts. I ordered and am waiting for it. For me, I am drawn to 1) the way the manual paddle can define flow, and then save the profile, 2) the hot water mixing and 3) the looks, which I love. Personally I think the GS3 is an absolute dog. But that's just me.

BaristaBob

#10: Post by BaristaBob »

Tony163 wrote:Thanks for the input. At 6500 is the R 91 less expensive than previously? I agree on paper the decent is hard to beat. However, it's just not for me for a few reasons - I personally I don't care for its appearance, overload of data, hate the sound of the pump, can't steam while pulling a shot (I believe), no water feed.

Sounds like if you plan on waiting until 2023 the Sanremo YOU might fit your needs. I'm in the wait and see mode as well and the response you got from Voltage appears accurate. I've heard from various sources price might be in the $6,000 to $6,500 range. That's expensive, but if it delivers on all those reported features, it might be worth the money. I especially like the feature that lets you store extraction profiles at the press of a button. The only negative on this machine, if you want to call it that, is the touch screen interface. Personally, this doesn't bother me.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"