Rocket R Nine One - Any reviews or opinions from the group?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
lsegeorge

#1: Post by lsegeorge »

Greetings to all !
I would like to hear any experiences that any group member may have had with this new machine. Even the group's take based on specs would be of interest! I do appreciate that very few machines have been manufactured/delivered to date.
I am currently on a La Cimbali Junior (I had it for the last 15 years) and saving for a GS3 mp upgrade. On paper the R Nine One seems to at least match GS3 mp on specs so I wanted to decide if it should it go on my "consider" list?

Currently I use the Cimbali Junior for 4-8 shots a day. I do very little milk steaming.

lsegeorge (original poster)

#2: Post by lsegeorge (original poster) »

Anyone?? Any comments on specs and/or brand alone?

lagoon

#3: Post by lagoon »

Are these actually shipping yet?

yoshi005

#4: Post by yoshi005 »

LMWDP #453

lsegeorge (original poster)

#5: Post by lsegeorge (original poster) »

Local supplier confirmed that the machines started shipping. Current orders have a couple of months lead time!

lagoon

#6: Post by lagoon »

I've just picked one up. I'll post a mini review soon.

tmurdaugh

#7: Post by tmurdaugh »

I have been wanting to dive into profiling and have had my eye on the R Nine One. I recently picked one up so I will also provide a short review soon.

BaristaBoy E61

#8: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

lsegeorge wrote:Anyone?? Any comments on specs and/or brand alone?

Looks like a very interesting machine. However, I'd be concerned about being an early adopter especially as it seems heavily reliant on electronics and the accuracy/stability of a pressure transducer.

Might be a great machine but at this time I'd feel more at peace with a machine that's been out in the wild longer with a proven record.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

lagoon

#9: Post by lagoon »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Looks like a very interesting machine. However, I'd be concerned about being an early adopter especially as it seems heavily reliant on electronics and the accuracy/stability of a pressure transducer.

Might be a great machine but at this time I'd feel more at peace with a machine that's been out in the wild longer with a proven record.
I initially had the same concerns, but it uses the same tech found in Rocket's current commercial multi-group range, and these have been in the field for 2-3 years now, so hopefully ok. I'm comfortable with future parts availability as Rocket is one of the bigger brands in my local market, rather than a niche manufacturer.

So, as mentioned earlier I'll kick things off with some initial thoughts, although not quite a mini review:

What do you get?

Saturated Group, pressure profiling, and commercial grade steam performance.

Initial observations
Machine is solid and heavy, although somewhat plain in appearance. Bigger than an e61 DB, but fits in a smaller footprint than competitors like GS3, Speedsters and Slayers. The cup rail is heavy duty. The supplied drip tray is a tight fit and was a little difficult to put in place.

3 Portafilters are supplied - single, double and bottomless. All are stainless steel. The portafilter handles supplied with the machine are the soft touch design from the Rocket commercial models, and the supplied steam lever is also one of these same handles.

So users wanting to customise the steam lever can use a nice aftermarket portafilter handle as a 10 second swapover. (M12 thread I think. A Pullman handle fits)

Supplied double PF sits level on the bench, similar to LM, so the basket is parallel to the benchtop.

The steam arm is a bit on the gangly side and takes some getting used to.

The supplied group gasket is too thick. Pf locks tight at 7oclock. I'll eventually replace this with an 8mm silicone one.

The hot water wand looks fixed, but is in fact moveable. Initially I found the position odd, but it's now fine. I never draw hot water at the same time as brewing or steaming so, in practice it's not a concern. The output temperature of the hot water is adjustable.

In operation, the machine is very quiet. Much quieter even than a rotary pump machine. It is very responsive to paddle inputs, despite being "fly by wire".

You can absolutely do those long low pressure preinfusions, before ramping up to full pressure and ending with a taper. Very flexible and it's all pretty easy to do.

I like the oversized gauges - they are 58mm, same size as a filter basket. Nice touch.

What I've done so far:

Lowered the steam boiler temperature to 122C (1.1 bar). It comes on very strong due to the sheer size of the steam boiler, so I've lowered the temp.

Programmed the on/off timer. Each day of the week can be set specifically, so I think I can ditch the WEMO switch.

Plumbed in. This is very easy to setup with the supplied hoses and plumb. Drain hose is 16mm internal diameter I think. Switching between plumb and tank is done on the screen menu, rather than a physical valve.

lagoon

#10: Post by lagoon »

I've started experimentation with custom profiles. These are created using the paddle in full manual fly by wire mode, which allows fine control over the brew pressure. After the pull you then have the option to snapshot it as a saved profile.

Here's one I'm getting great results from:

This starts with a long preinfusion at very low pressure (around 1 bar). After about 10 seconds, I've ramped it up very gradually, then the shot finishes with a period at 8.3 bar. No tapering down at the tail, just a cut off.

Using a 17g dose with this one, and the long preinfusion allows a significantly finer grind.

35 seconds total, with first drips around 12 seconds.