Rocket Mozzafiato or Acaso Dream PID - I know

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
TeeGreeThree

#1: Post by TeeGreeThree »

Rocket Mozzafiato or Acaso Dream PID ? Yes, I know these are priced very differently. What I don't fully understand is what are the differences, and how that will effect the espresso making process and outcome.

I'm considering the Rocket because a friend has an older Giotto and raves about it. I'm considering the Acaso because Wirecutter picked it.

Can you help me understand why the rocket may be worth $1000ish more? Feel free to throw in other alts you might prefer in this admittedly wide price range - I'm sure there are many alts - but know that I am starting as curious between these two.

More detail on me: I started with a Delonghi Dedica. Upgraded my grinder to a Mignon Specialiata. I'm getting tired of the struggles getting not-sour or otherwise not-great shots out of the Dedica. (It can be done, but it takes me heating it up multiple times before I pull a shot, and is just very inconsistent.) I've found I enjoy messing around with timings and weights and etc.

95% of what I drink is decaf, so I'm starting from a tricky place. I do mostly Americanos, some straight espresson, essentially zero milk drinks (although maybe someday).

One small add: my wife uses ESE pods. So it'd be nice if I could use ESE pods in whatever I choose (which I think there's an adaptor for the Acaso, not sure on the rocket).

THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS!

rapha
Supporter

#2: Post by rapha »

Can't comment on the Acaso Dream PID but I owned a Rocket Mozzafiato R for about 1 year and it was very reliable and made delicious cups of coffees, it also had a PID. I usually changed the temperature when rotating between light and dark roasts and it worked quite well. I recently got a pressure profiling machine, while I wouldn't say that I get better shots, it's easier to get good shots with preinfusion, that was not possible with the Mozzafiato but if your puck press is good enough, you might never need it.

Ypuh

#3: Post by Ypuh »

Rocket Mozzafiato. It's a no-brainer. One of the most beautiful and temperature stable machines. Does not require flushing or much of anything.

Also holds it's value very well.
I don't want a Decent

rapha
Supporter

#4: Post by rapha »

Indeed, I sold it for a very good price (but it's not the cheapest HX E61 machine to begin with).

klee11mtl

#5: Post by klee11mtl »

The Mozzafiato is a heat exchanger and the Dream PID is a thermoblock so fairly different machines.

I'd suggest researching thermoblocks, boilers, heat exchangers on this site or Google. Lots of opinions and pros/cons for each of these out there.

Milk steaming is a strength of HX machines. While I'm sure the Rocket would make perfectly fine espresso, I'd definitely recommend understanding the technology before getting one if steaming isn't in your plans. If I had your criteria, I would be considering either a thermoblock or a single boiler.

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

It seems to me that deciding on your priorities for making a decision will help. That includes budget!

With what is on the market today, it is hard for me to recommend a thermo-whatever-marketing-calls-it brewer in the $1,000 and up range. PID or not, there are just some physical realities about how fast a cheap flash heater can heat how much water at what flow rate. It makes a lot of sense in a $350 or $500 machine like the Breville Bambino. There seem to be better ways to manage temperature in machines in the higher price ranges. The only upscale machine that I know of that successfully uses a flash heater is the DE1, and there it isn't trying to manage the output of the heater into the basket directly, but mixes with cooler water to achieve reasonably controllable brew temperatures.

An HX machine, with the notable exception of the Mara X, will require you to manage its temperature, PID or not. There are some pretty interesting marketing claims made about some PID units. The reality is that the series of heat losses from the boiler to the group head and then the brew temperature of an HX are large and vary enough that you're not always getting out what that digital display shows.

There's a range of machines with close-coupled groups out there that are generally double boilers. They seem to start with the Silvano at a bit over $1,000 and run up through things like the Lelit Elizabeth, as one example. The Breville Dual Boiler is another option in this price range. They seem to me to be a good option if you're not needing the E61 look. If you're wanting for the E61 look, the Mara X is a reasonable option.

Past there you're getting into double boilers as the price climbs into the $3,000 range. Personally, I'd rather have a dual boiler in that price range than an HX. In double boilers, three of the more popular units are the Lelit Bianca, ECM Synchronika, and Profitec Pro 700, all of which have or can have a flow kit.

You're also in the price range of lever machines with "commercial-size" groups. They've got their own set of benefits in the cup and workflow, so it isn't really an apples-to-apples question.

beans+crumble

#7: Post by beans+crumble »

I recently upgraded from a Mozzafiato; it was a great machine. Well built, with quality materials. Pulled consistently good quality shots (paired with a quality grinder). Steaming power was good. All-in-all a very nice machine to own. I upgraded simply because I used it as a stepping stone from the Breville Barista Express to La Marzocco Linea Mini as I wasn't confident in my barista abilities to make such a huge jump up in machines. I don't regret buying the Rocket and it taught me a lot about espresso making (and was fairly forgiving). My assumption in the difference in price between these 2 machines are in: boiler types (thermoblock vs single boiler heat exchanger), build quality/materials used, & the fact the name "Rocket" is on the Mozzafiato. Best thing I did before buying a machine was to go to a retail store and try them out in person... specs of paper is one thing but sometimes using the machine in real life makes a huge difference in your decision. Good luck!