Rocket Appartamento vs Lelit MaraX

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Nitz369

#1: Post by Nitz369 »

It is time to upgrade from my stater setup, a BBE. After 3 years I am ready to go deeper. Tons of research and I settled on a couple choices. Appartamento and Mara-X. We make 2-4 milk based drinks every day. It is rare occasion for company to make non-milk drinks. Judge me if you want. But anyhow, the wife was sold on the Appartamento looks. I read all of the process for GH flushing to get down to temp. Just still not sure which one I should get.

Each combo package would be equal in price:
Mara-X & Specialita
OR
Appartamento & Specialita + GH Thermometer

If both are the same price, what do you go for?

Reading through the Mara-X threads, still can't fully understand. But in X mode would the steam function not be good since we will always make milk with the shot. For the most part the most we would make at one time would be 2 shots and 2 milks. back to back.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Having used an E61 HX for well over a decade, I'd go for the simplicity and easier workflow of the MaraX. From what I understand, the steam pressure is relatively easy to watch or manage.

In that price range, I'd also consider the BDB. If it didn't appeal to you, perhaps the Lelit Elizabeth with its close-coupled group head and variable preinfusion (valuable for medium and lighter roasts).

Nitz369 (original poster)

#3: Post by Nitz369 (original poster) »

The wife said no to the BDB because it doesn't seem like an upgrade from the BBE and still that consumer plastic look. Also said no the the Elizabeth because it's ugly. So probably on track for the Mara-X.

Nitz369 (original poster)

#4: Post by Nitz369 (original poster) »

Also looked at the Bezzera BZ13 but not enough info out there about that one .

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

I'm not sure why the Bezzeras aren't as popular as they once were. I'm not sure which of the BZ13 models you were considering and http://www.bezzera.it/?p=articoli&id=12&lang=en# doesn't list any BZ13 at this time.

A PID on an HX machine's steam boiler doesn't do much of anything positive for temperature stability, you still need to flush and manage brew temperature. The MaraX is one of the few, if only, successful HX machines where the control is of the group-head temperature, which is something that stabilizes the brew temperature.

Thermosiphon

#6: Post by Thermosiphon »

If they're the same price, the Lelit Mara X is going save you a lot of water (it'll do the temperature surfing for you) and it will have superior steaming capability.

I don't recall if the Mara X is plumbable (it probably is) but the Appartamento definitely isn't. And you have to flush a lot of water to get to a decent brew temperature once it's all warmed up.

The Mara X allows you to tune brew temperature (coarsely) like a Dual Boiler, but gives you the superior steaming capability of a HX. All for less money and a lower counter foot print than almost anything else on the prosumer market.

My biases:
I just ordered a Lelit Bianca, but if someone told me I had to constrain my budget to under $2000, the MaraX is a no brainer. I also owned a Rocket Appartamento briefly.
Cheers,
Bill