Rocket Appartamento - Reconditioned - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
thomasec (original poster)

#11: Post by thomasec (original poster) »

So the machine got here yesterday, and I wanted to run a few things by you guys. This is my first non-lever machine, so I want to make sure I'm not being overly critical. Again, this was listed as a machine that they claimed was bought new, used twice by the previous owner, then returned and tested. A few things I've noticed out of the box:
  • There are minor scratches on all sides of the machine

• The drip tray is uneven, and will sort of wiggle the way a wobbly table is if you press down on one corner.

• It almost looks like the machine bows right it connects to the drip tray. I'm not sure if this is normal, but other photos i've seen online don't seem to look like this

Another image, that for some reason isn't uploading:

https://i.ibb.co/5sWNVBb/IMG-2184ff.jpg

I've done my best to post photos that correspond to each of the items mentioned above. Any feedback is appreciated!

jpsm

#12: Post by jpsm replying to thomasec »

I guess that is the problem when buying something claimed to be slightly used to used. One tends to notice every little imperfection and attribute it to the lack of care from the previous owner. I am speaking in general btw.

I think in this case the scratches on top are caused by the previous owner leaving the portafilter on top of the machine. The sides are another story... Think that machine is kinda banged up...

Knowing the condition of the machine, would you have bought it? Personally I would not have so maybe consider sending it back to them.

wachuko

#13: Post by wachuko »

Unless you got photos that showed all that and were okay with... I would say send it back...

That looks more beat up than initially described...

As initially described, sounded like a good deal. But not if the frame is bent. The scratches are not a big deal because you will make those with cups, spoons, what not... The side insert scratches are another thing, pretty sure they can send you new ones to replace them as those come in different colors and are supposed to be inserts....

It is that bent in the frame that was a surprise...

As mentioned, maybe consider sending it back and just getting a new one.
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

wachuko

#14: Post by wachuko »

thomasec,

Any updates?
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

thomasec (original poster)

#15: Post by thomasec (original poster) replying to wachuko »

Yeah, I am going to keep it. It works fine, and I contacted both the seller and another Rocker authorized dealer, who both informed me the "bend" was not an issue for long-term durability, and does happen occasionally due to the fact that they are hand welded. I figure for 25% off (with no tax), and a 2 year warranty, it's still a really solid deal.

If it really bothers me in a few months/years, i'm sure I can sell if for close to what I paid - for now, I'm having so much fun pulling shots, that I've forgotten about the cosmetic issues.