Right espresso machine for beginner?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ari-gato
Posts: 54
Joined: 3 years ago

#1: Post by ari-gato »

I'm new to the hobby... We have all "one touch" type machines in our house for making coffee. I found a two year old Breville Dual Boiler and the asking price is $700 and seems fair. My concern, is this the right machine for a beginner? With so many machines out there, it's just tough to know where to begin. I had considered a new Bambino Plus or the Barista Express. I decided against the express because I want to get a separate grinder. Any thoughts? brand spanking new to this.

User avatar
BaristaBoy E61
Posts: 3544
Joined: 9 years ago

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

ari-gato wrote:I had considered a new Bambino Plus or the Barista Express. I decided against the express because I want to get a separate grinder. Any thoughts? brand spanking new to this.

You can still later add an external grinder to the Barista Express. That way there's no rush to get a grinder, you'll then have redundancy and a grinder should you later sell the Barista Express to upgrade.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

User avatar
baldheadracing
Team HB
Posts: 6281
Joined: 9 years ago

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

I'd take a used Breville Dual Boiler over a new Barista Express or Bambino Plus all day every day. One of the better home espresso machines versus two of the - well - mediocre choices, to be polite?

However, please do your research on what to look for in a used Breville Dual Boiler; what kind of water was it used with, common leak points, etc. How comfortable are you opening up the machine and replacing the usual wear points? etc.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

ari-gato (original poster)
Posts: 54
Joined: 3 years ago

#4: Post by ari-gato (original poster) »

Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing about a BDB over the express or bambino. I feel pretty good about opening the machine and doing the common maintenance after reading a thread on here that had a bunch of things that can be done.

I'll look to see if I can find the common leak points. When you say what kind of water, do you mean tap, versus bottled or even just filtered from a refrigerator? Like we typically use the filtered water from our fridge for our Nespresso machines.... Would that be an alarm to you when thinking about the used BDB?

ari-gato (original poster)
Posts: 54
Joined: 3 years ago

#5: Post by ari-gato (original poster) »

The problem with the built in grinder is the cabinets over the machine will be too close too... so thats another reason I'm considering a separate grinder. Looking at the Niche grinder.

User avatar
baldheadracing
Team HB
Posts: 6281
Joined: 9 years ago

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

ari-gato wrote:Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing about a BDB over the express or bambino. I feel pretty good about opening the machine and doing the common maintenance after reading a thread on here that had a bunch of things that can be done.

I'll look to see if I can find the common leak points. When you say what kind of water, do you mean tap, versus bottled or even just filtered from a refrigerator? Like we typically use the filtered water from our fridge for our Nespresso machines.... Would that be an alarm to you when thinking about the used BDB?
I'm thinking about the water the previous owner used, and what treatment, if any. For example, IIRC, high chlorides are fairly common in some parts of Florida. If the previous owner was in an area of high chloride levels and they used a reverse osmosis system, then great.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Cedo
Posts: 57
Joined: 2 years ago

#7: Post by Cedo »

Breville infuser is basically the express without the grinder.

ari-gato (original poster)
Posts: 54
Joined: 3 years ago

#8: Post by ari-gato (original poster) »

They told me they use water through a Brita filter, i dont think that would remove chlorides. I highly doubt they are using RO water.... That not the most common here....

ari-gato (original poster)
Posts: 54
Joined: 3 years ago

#9: Post by ari-gato (original poster) »

I guess my question to this then would be. Do I buy the 2 year old BDB for $700 or a new Infuser for $600. I want to be able to do latte art too...
Cedo wrote:Breville infuser is basically the express without the grinder.

ari-gato (original poster)
Posts: 54
Joined: 3 years ago

#10: Post by ari-gato (original poster) »

Actually I take back my question, I think the BDB is better for me because of the ability to put the water in from the front... additionally I like the idea of being able to control the temperature among other things that I want to tinker with.
ari-gato wrote:I guess my question to this then would be. Do I buy the 2 year old BDB for $700 or a new Infuser for $600. I want to be able to do latte art too...