Review - LeverCraft Ultra WDT Distribution Tool - Page 5

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Fercho

#41: Post by Fercho »

My experience with the Levercraft tool has been amazing! I made another post to share a link for a 3D printed stand a friend of mine made for me. Below the link to that post for those interested in downloading the file: 3D printed stand for Levercraft WDT Tool

lnh

#42: Post by lnh »

I grabbed the file from the LeverCraft WDT holder referenced above and had it 3d printed at our local library on a low end Sculpto printer. In spite of the relatively low resolution, the result was quite usable. I did want to tinker and make some modifications. To add some weight to the holder I glued a large steel fender washer to the base. I then noticed that a magnet attracts the screw which holds the needles in place on the LeverCraft so I drilled a hole on the top of the plastic holder and epoxied a magnet in place. It's sweet having the WDT tool gently mate to the holder in a positive way.

Could I easily modify the .stl file listed above on thingiverse.com and reprint it? At least at my minimal 3d CAD skill level that wasn't so easy. You can with the right software and skill, but the Creative Commons license listed on thingiverse.com for this item specified "No Derivatives". So I started up Autodesk Fusion 360 and designed a new holder from scratch with some modifications. Not being familiar with 3D CAD design or Fusion 360 it took some time to get the desired result.

This design has a recess in the bottom to epoxy in place up to three 1.5" diameter fender washers. The top is also modified to embed a 3/16" x 3/8" magnet. There is also a slight recess in the top to allow space for the screw holding the needles in place which slightly protrudes below the surface the WDT tool rests on at the top. The outer spikes at the top have also been slightly enlarged to give a tiny bit more space for the tool to rest on. I've submitted this revised design to the library printer, but it might be a couple weeks before I see it and can validate the design. I'm also not sure if some of the finer details will resolve with this low resolution printer.

If people here are interested, I'd like to make both the .stl printable file and a Fusion 360 .f3d design file available once I've validated the design. There is nothing magical about the size of either the fender washers or the magnet as both were chosen because I already had them. With the design file people could make their own modifications without starting from scratch. I'm not sure if you can post non-image files on this site so a public home for the print and design files might have to be found. I believe that the files from Fusion 360 can have a public link but I'll have to figure that out.