Review - LeverCraft Ultra WDT Distribution Tool - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Jeff
Team HB

#21: Post by Jeff »

In my opinion, the leveler is a waste of money. The LeverCraft tool is more than sufficient.

As for a tamping stand, I use a hockey puck. Even if you buy one new, that leaves a lot for some great coffee.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#22: Post by LBIespresso »

blutch wrote:My question is, why can't one cut 0.4 needles to the exact same length and put them in a cork in the same exact pattern as the LC WDT and get the same exact results and save about $25?
Sure. You could do that. You would save $25. Or you could buy it and get something that feels better in your hand, that is easily adjustable by adding or removing needles or arranging them in a different pattern, while supporting a small business. It is a value decision that everyone must make for themselves.
LMWDP #580

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
jmotzi

#23: Post by jmotzi »

mwebber wrote:This is not at all like the result I was getting with my needles-in-a-wine cork WDT tool, and a significant improvement in both usability and distribution.
I had been using a single (rather thick) needle disection tool from time to time over the years and was never convinced it was worth the effort. However I was shocked :shock: when I used the LeverCraft tool for the first time. It makes a huge difference in the uniformity of my shots. Little did I know...
Jeff wrote:As for a tamping stand, I use a hockey puck. Even if you buy one new, that leaves a lot for some great coffee.
Same here - have been using it for years. Of course I have a bottomless portafilter so the flat surface is convenient.

JM
LMWDP #662

nrcoffee

#24: Post by nrcoffee »

I've wasted money on lots of espresso things that most likely didn't do much for me. On the other hand, this thing immediately made a difference. It's hard to explain how perfectly this distributes the grounds in the basket. With no other variable change, I got better tasting espresso. Which I guess means I'm getting better extractions. It's absolutely worth the money.

vickeryj
Supporter ❤

#25: Post by vickeryj »

Has anyone else noticed that extraction starts from the outside after using this tool? A little nutation corrected it for me.

Mad Scientist

#26: Post by Mad Scientist »

This is totally the best tool ever! I was using a single needle disection needle for about a year then in April I had two back-to-back spritzers. I attributed this to 30 percent humidity. I hacked up a cork and sewing needles that worked good. Then I got my LC WDT tool on the May pre-order. Those needles sure are thin.

I have eliminated two steps in my puck prep now.

That WDT video on the LC website sold me.

MS

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by baldheadracing »

I finally got mine today from the May pre-order - the tool spent a month travelling from Austin to Chicago :roll:.

So far, seems to be worthy of the hype. Nice weight in the hand 8).
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
PeetsFan
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by PeetsFan »

I bought a WDT tool from a guy on Etsy. Seems fine, and I use it sometimes, but...

I single dose with a Sette 270 grinder. I tried grinding into the portafilter, but it spills and distribution is never ideal. So I weigh my 16g into a cup that comes with the machine, and grind into that cup. This lets me weigh easily when I want.

Here's the thing: I can use the WDT tool with the ground coffee in the cup, before pouring into the portafilter. Then again, I can just shake that coffee side to side and break up any clumps just as easily.

So what will a WDT do for me? I don't get it. I don't have any problems with channeling... I use a bottomless PF, and extractions always begin with a very small ring, then sort of randomly through the basket. I think the ring is because the holes don't go all the way to the very end, so there is more extracted coffee all around the edge holes of the portafilter. This doesn't seem to be channeling; if it were, I'd sometimes see partial rings.

I'm curious to hear what others think. It just seems that shaking the ground coffee side to side and then tapping the portafilter once I've poured in the coffee works best for me.

BuckleyT

#29: Post by BuckleyT »

I tried it the straight way but right-angling the tips gives much more consistent results. These acupuncture needles can be very long, so there is no risk of bottoming out the cork. You back-pierce the cork from the bottom up with a hypodermic needle, then thread the acupuncture needle through the larger bore hypodermic needle and back the hypodermic needle out, leaving the acupuncture needle in the desired location.

@PeetsFan: if it tastes good in the cup, you are doing it right. :D If there is not a blatant channeling focus, I wouldn't worry. Of course, everyone changes up their technique in little ways from time-to-time and if the shot improves, we stick with the new. If not, then not.
The shot appearing around the side of the basket can be the subject of a whole new thread :shock: and may be linked to the technique or to the shower screen, or the basket. You can change these things one at a time and see if it makes a visual or taste difference. New screens are not expensive. When is the last time you removed your screen and soaked it?

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by baldheadracing »

deleted; bad experiment
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann