Review - LeverCraft Ultra WDT Distribution Tool - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
bzarycranski

#11: Post by bzarycranski »

^^^^^What Jeff said. The Lever Craft tool works very well for me and much better than my home brew attempts using a paper clip. The 8-prong version as received works well breaking all clumps to powder and leveling to boot.

Highly recommend if you have the scratch and are lazy (like me).

Bill

2020-barista
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by 2020-barista »

Long time lurker (and learner!) who recently registered on H-B, and who is also using the LeverCraft WDT tool...

I've used a few different WDT 'tools' (mostly DIY) since beginning my home-barista journey this past summer, some of them resulting in worse results than doing nothing at all(!), but the LeverCraft Ultra WDT has been great. If I ever lost it, I'd be ordering another. :D

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
BaristaBob

#13: Post by BaristaBob »

I agree...this WDT tool is the best yet for the price. Have never used the Duomo but that baby is expensive. Hoping someone has both that can explain first hand how they compare to each other.

And after two weeks of use, I've managed to only spear myself once...even after reading Eric's instructions on pointing the needles toward the coffee and not your fingers! :shock:
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

dak

#14: Post by dak »

BaristaBob wrote:I agree...this WDT tool is the best yet for the price. Have never used the Duomo but that baby is expensive. Hoping someone has both that can explain first hand how they compare to each other.
I have both the Levercraft and the Duomo. Both have Pros and cons. I also have experience with the BPlus and the Londinium tools

The Duomo
Pros
-Ideal tool for a simple, repeatable workflow, can easily be used half asleep with both eyes closed :)
-does an excellent job creating a level coffee bed without compressing the coffee, takes the place of traditional Clover/wedge levelers IMO
-really a great tool for someone who mostly drinks medium and dark roast coffee paired to a grinder housing traditional bimodal espresso burrs
-Fantastic build quality and ergonomics

Cons
-not as effective at homogenizing grounds or breaking clumps as a more meticulous manual WDT with something like the Levercraft/BPlus/Londinium style tools and therefore less consistent with light roast beans coming from a unimodal style grinder (I noticed this when I switched from a Eureka to my Monolith MAX SLM)

Levercraft
-Best traditional manual WDT tool I've tried and an improvement over the Londinium and BPlus tool. My previous favorite was the BPlus, which also has the very thin wires and also works very well but takes a little more effort to level the bed vs. the Levercraft, which really shines in this aspect.
-Well made and fairly priced, I like that it is easily user serviceable
-with proper technique it does an excellent job mixing and declumping and pairs well with lighter roasts and more unimodal grinders

Cons
-not as easily repeatable as the Duomo
-takes more time and effort than the Duomo
-ergonomics are ok but IMO it would be better with a slightly thicker handle with some angled edges like the BPlus to keep it from rolling around when you lay it down

Overall, given my preference for lighter roasts and my current grinder, I mostly use the Levercraft tool and have been very satisfied.
★ Helpful

BaristaBob

#15: Post by BaristaBob » replying to dak »

Hi Dak,

Thanks for the detailed comparo on the Duomo and the Levercraft WDT tools. I would say another possible con for the Duomo is cost.

Bob
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"