Replacing my ECM Synchronika with La Marzocco GS3 or ? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Rxilher (original poster)

#21: Post by Rxilher (original poster) »

truemagellen wrote:Just get an independent steaming unit if you are steaming that much milk. Then you can steam while you steam
True. That would be an option. I would prefer one nice capable unit though. Kills me even more as I only use the steam boiler half the year as I do exclusively iced drinks when warm weather hits.

jpsm

#22: Post by jpsm »

Rxilher wrote:So very tempting! There is a local Cyncra 2 group for 6k! Love the Slayers too (never used one though).
Sounds like a bargain already! Just make sure it was not abused! Or you could just get a linea classic 2gr and be done with it! Remaining money goes towards a sick grinder! :twisted:

Advertisement

#23: Post by Rxilher (original poster) replying to jpsm »

Hahah. Well I will see what I can do with the ECM with all these great tips. I think I just gave up on it a long time ago. I am so glad I decided to jump on and cue the collective HB Mind!

My Ceado has been holding it's own well enough that I have held down the urge to upgrade my grinder....for now.

#24: Post by Rxilher (original poster) »

Update as of this AM....steaming took 1:30/40. A marked improvement, but still not where I would like it to be and I just don't know if the PID upgrade will get me under a minute. Maybe this is because I am using homemade cashew milk? Anyone know if non dairy milks are harder to heat?

truemagellen

#25: Post by truemagellen replying to Rxilher »

Yes depending on the mixture it could be very difficult or near impossible to steam. To do alternative milks particularly cashew and almond milk you can make barista versions with these two tricks:

Add fat, easy one is MCT coconut oil, one quick squirt to a 6oz pitcher or so, experiment with this given your using cashew.

Add starch, easy one is corn starch but I think it adds flavor you may not like. A pinch of arrowroot powder per 6oz makes a huge difference, make sure it has time to dissolve but steaming will accelerate it.

Read detailed guides on steaming nutmilk as you are doing a fundamentally different process than steaming milk which easily carmelizes sugars and produces microfoam with it's fat/sugar/Protein mixture that is very responsive to heat.

You may be better off getting a high quality frothing kitchen like the Breville one to see if that works better for your cashew milk although I still recommend adding the MCT atleast and arrowroot if you can.

truemagellen

#26: Post by truemagellen »

I will add that we buy cheapo Costco Kirkland almond milk, add a squirt so probably little less than a teaspoon of MCT oil, start steaming the top layer off milk then plunge in half way and start the swirl. If I want it to be a latte I must add the arrowroot as more almond milk is even harder to froth.

Split the 16oz into 2 pitchers of 8 is a good start. I steam 6oz max almond milk and it is fast but I also have 5l boiler but I could easily steam it on my neighbors Pasquini.

#27: Post by Rxilher (original poster) replying to truemagellen »

Thanks! Yeah...I must say our milk is very simple and the microfoam/texture is actually very very good. Only raw cashews and water. It really lets the flavors of the coffee shine through. I will experiment with adding MCT and see if it changes.

I have a line on a 5yo GS3 for $4,000. Tempted. Very tempted!

Advertisement
truemagellen

#28: Post by truemagellen replying to Rxilher »

Sounds like you are looking for am excuse to upgrade with wife who likes lattes. I hear yea :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think I want to try this cashew milk sounds a lot better than Kirkland special.

#29: Post by Rxilher (original poster) replying to truemagellen »

Hehe. Maybe.

I love it! I get Terrasoul Raw Mylk Cashews from Amazon. Soak overnight, rinse, and blend on high 40 seconds in high power blender.
Ratio of 1cup cashews to 48oz of water. I use bottled water And typically do a double batch every time. I use 2 16oz bottles in the blender with 2cups presoaked cashews. Then pour it into my pitcher that contains 4 bottles of water already. And I used only cold water as warm water will get too hot in my Blendtec blender.

truemagellen

#30: Post by truemagellen replying to Rxilher »

I am definitely going to do this. Reason to use Vitamix that's sitting unused far too often. Thank you!