Replacing my ECM Synchronika with La Marzocco GS3 or ? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jpsm

#11: Post by jpsm »

Rxilher wrote:I do have the space :) (which is nice) , but I fear I would be gross overkill for home? How much milk are you steaming at once?
of course its overkill but to each his own! Max I steam is 300ish ml and that is for 2 8oz drinks already. You wont be disappointed in the gs3 btw :)

NelisB

#12: Post by NelisB »

Dalla Corte Mina?

truemagellen

#13: Post by truemagellen »

5L spring lever machine

LVD

#14: Post by LVD »

I have the new version of the ECM Synchronika so it has the upgraded steam. I don't steam 16 oz of milk, but I can tell you it steams 5-6 oz of milk in less than 20 seconds with the stock 2 hole tip, and with a 4 hole tip it takes about 10 seconds. So if you get a 4 hole tip and the PID upgrade, my guess is that it would be perfectly capable of steaming 16 oz of milk in a reasonably short amount of time for a pitcher that size. So unless you really want a new machine, those upgrades may be a good option. Maybe someone else who makes large milk drinks can give you a definite answer though.

truemagellen

#15: Post by truemagellen »

Just get an independent steaming unit if you are steaming that much milk. Then you can steam while you steam

Rxilher (original poster)

#16: Post by Rxilher (original poster) »

jpsm wrote:of course its overkill but to each his own! Max I steam is 300ish ml and that is for 2 8oz drinks already. You wont be disappointed in the gs3 btw :)
it would look quite nice ;)

jpsm

#17: Post by jpsm replying to Rxilher »

Get something that has a saturated group. Personally it looks way better vs an e61 or something covered up like a lineamini. A speedster, gs3,mvp or slayer is the way to go! :twisted:

#18: Post by Rxilher (original poster) »

U2jewel wrote:16oz .. that's 450g of milk taking you 4 to 5 minutes to stream up to temperature? Did I understand this correctly?

I run my Synkronika in our small Cafe. It's the pre 2 bar model, meaning peak is at 1.5 bar.

I made 2 hot chocolates today, using 400g milk. In a large pitcher, in 1 go, I steamed that in under a minute. I've done little more than that in the past.. probably as much as 16oz (450g).. not once I've had the pump cut in to refill the steam boiler.

The possibilities I can imagine are the following..assuming all Synkronikas are in working order, it's that the temp setting on your machine is maybe a little too low. Or there's a fault in your machine somewhere, even if it's set to the highest temp setting (which I do). I cannot realistically imagine anyone steaming milk to boiling point, so anything taking over 90 seconds to steam is already questionable.

I have both 5 and 4 hole steam tips.. honestly, I can't see the difference in performance. Even if you have the 2 hole tip, I doubt that's of any relevance.

Is there a small chance the hole(s) could be clogged?
Is your steam boiler set at 282f (128c)?

You've had series of machines, so I won't consider steaming technique as a possibility.

If there is 1 factor that makes my experience and yours different, maybe it's that I'm running my machine in 20A mode. You can change this in your PID, allowing both boilers to draw current simultaneously.

If you're in 20A, then I think it needs looking at.
This is immensely helpful! I did check my temp today and it was a little low so I maxed it out at the 282F and it slightly improved ... about 1:45 seconds for a 170f steam. I have the 4 hole installed and it does not seem to be clogged. I started checking all the things you said just now and have to say I am a bit embarrassed....it is looking like 20amp mode was not on. I just assumed it was active and when I bought this machine it was relatively new to the market. I complained about poor steam power from day one and was given a 4 hole for free, but it was never great. I will report back tomorrow after a run on max temp and f.02 at 5 for 20amp mode :) i am really hoping for under 1 minute. I do suppose I could try the upgrade PID and pressure valve as well before messing with a new machine!

#19: Post by Rxilher (original poster) »

LVD wrote:I have the new version of the ECM Synchronika so it has the upgraded steam. I don't steam 16 oz of milk, but I can tell you it steams 5-6 oz of milk in less than 20 seconds with the stock 2 hole tip, and with a 4 hole tip it takes about 10 seconds. So if you get a 4 hole tip and the PID upgrade, my guess is that it would be perfectly capable of steaming 16 oz of milk in a reasonably short amount of time for a pitcher that size. So unless you really want a new machine, those upgrades may be a good option. Maybe someone else who makes large milk drinks can give you a definite answer though.
Thanks! I would love a new machine, but also wouldn't mind keeping $2-4k in my pocket! Might be ordering the PID upgrade soon.

#20: Post by Rxilher (original poster) »

jpsm wrote:Get something that has a saturated group. Personally it looks way better vs an e61 or something covered up like a lineamini. A speedster, gs3,mvp or slayer is the way to go! :twisted:
So very tempting! There is a local Cyncra 2 group for 6k! Love the Slayers too (never used one though).