Replace Compak M10 with Baratza Sette 270wi?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Sfnewbie

#1: Post by Sfnewbie »

Always getting grief from the wife for taking up so much counter space.

Has the Sette 270Wi gotten to the point that it is a legit alternative to a commercial beast like the M10?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Wow, that's a hard question, a bit like, apples or oranges'. I have had several 7-270Ws and do not recommend. However, my current one is a Wi and it is terrific. The i version solved all the troubles I've had and have read about. It's dead nuts accurate, both in terms of repeatability and in terms of amount ground (as compared to my Barista scale). In the cup, it is the best grinder I've owned by far (but I've never had an M10). I love the weight based grinding straight into a portafilter; if this isn't your thing then save some bucks and just get a 7-270. Contrary to the opinion of a few reviewers, I submit that it is not a zero-retention grinder, unless you grind very light roasts. However, by setting one of the presets to the minimum, it is simple to shoot a few grams through the grinder first thing. It is noisy compared to my other grinders, but it's so fast that for 17 grams it's all over in about 6-seconds (depends a bit on the beans/roast). From what I know of the M10, the Sette is a step down in quality of build. That said, only time will tell how the Sette series stands up. Frankly, if I get a few years out of it I'll be happy, as, for the cost, there is nothing that can touch it. Also, when it does bite it, Baratza has a reputation for getting repair parts out to owners rapidly and for a fair price, or I'll just buy a new one and still be ahead of the game.

redbone

#3: Post by redbone »

Do you need the weight function ? If not the Niche should also be considered.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

slipchuck

#4: Post by slipchuck replying to redbone »

My concern is if something needs to get repaired in the niche, you would have to ship it back to the UK

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”