Recommended Lever w/ Lagom P100

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Merrill Hess

#1: Post by Merrill Hess »

Hola,

Long time lurker trying to learn all I can from the wealth of information provided from you all. I'm a cafe drinker of espresso and home aficionado of pour over.

I have a Logom P100 UH on order. I love the art of making coffee as much as I enjoy drinking it. I was planning on buying a Micra, Bianca, Slayer or another machine in the near future. Knowing myself, I don't believe I'd be happy with any of these fine machines because I love the tactile expression and capabilities of a lever.

Any recommendations of a buy once cry once lever (within reason). Cannot plumb in. I enjoy light/medium roasts. Family enjoys milk based latte's, caps, etc. Would pull maybe 5 drinks a day. Am I missing any of the usual suspects of Olympia, Pro 800, Nurri, Londinium and Evo Leva? I'm USA based but can spin a few tools if needed for repairs/maintenance.

Thank you all for helping me dive deep down this endless rabbit hole.

Ad-85

#2: Post by Ad-85 »

welcome to HB. I recommend lower peak pressure levers paired with your large flat grinder.
Olympia SL 6bars (dipper)
Londinium 7.5bars (HX)
Evo Leva (with the bigger spring only) 6.5bars - dual boiler.
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

Advertisement
Primacog

#3: Post by Primacog »

It sounds like you will need to make a lot for changes from roast to roast as well as having more independently variable controls to be able to change parameters while still having a rock solid platform. In this circumstances, I do not think that a traditional type non adjustable spring lever like the izzo Alex leva or profitec Pro 800 will suit what you are looking for unless you like taping thermocouple leads to your machine and flushing the lever many times to raise its grouphead temperature or using such home made work arounds as wrapping cold towels or locking ins fresh and cold portafilter or soaking in cold water the portafilter to lower the temperature.

If money is no object and you want a truly ultimate lever machine that there is no other lever machine that is even possible to upgrade to, then the two group kees van der westen slim Jim idrocompresso or a single groupLM LEVA X may be where you should go to check them out and see if they are what you want.

For a spring lever machine that will do almost everything those levers will do but at a small fraction of their monumental prices and that will come in smaller than their massive footprint, then it seems to me that there are only three real candidates - the nurri L-type leva and either the acs vesuvius evo or the acs vostok single group. Which one you prefer will boil down mostly to aesthetic preferences and whether you prefer a rotary or gear pump and whether you prefer controlling the machine more through a more tactile and minimalist interface or through touchscreen.

I have the nurri leva and it is easily the best espresso machine I have ever used or owned from the versatility, performance and the looks perspectives, and this is speaking as a former owner of the traditional non-adjustable izzo pompei spring lever whicj was very good.

The Londoninium r24 doesn't allow you to adjust the temperature of the grouphead independently and directly so it belongs in a different category than these machines.
LMWDP #729